Author Topic: Search pictures -> preview -> close preview window -> loose searched collection  (Read 3895 times)

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Hi,
I search in PM Pictures (saved search or quicksearch on OSX).
I get the needed collection - fine :-)
I open the preview (double click) for an picture from this collection.
If I now close the preview window (ESC-Key or CMD-W) I loose the complete searched collection - I see only the picture that was latest inside the preview window :-((
I must start a new search to get the collection again...

Can you give me an hint?

Thanks Uwe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

I search in PM Pictures (saved search or quicksearch on OSX).
I get the needed collection - fine :-)
I open the preview (double click) for an picture from this collection.
If I now close the preview window (ESC-Key or CMD-W) I loose the complete searched collection - I see only the picture that was latest inside the preview window :-((
I must start a new search to get the collection again...

Can you give me an hint?

That sounds like a bug in Photo Mechanic to me.  What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

Can you give me an exact set of steps to follow that reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Hi Kirk,
I'm using the latest PM 5 Version on OSX (10.9).

I do a quick search to find all images with "dxo" in the filename (or with "berlin" in keywords, or...) - works fine - also as "saved search" from the left sidebar.
The search goes through my photo directory structure with sub-folders!
plib->2014->14-01-20
                 ->14-10-30

I get  the contact sheet with all the search related pictures.
I double click on one picture to get the viewer window - works. I can go through the pictures inside the viewer window using the pref- and next-key

Now I close the viewer window with ESC-key ord CMD-w
I'm back on the contact sheet but this contains only the latest viewed picture from the viewer window :-((
The tab has the name of the startfolder of my search - in my case "plib".

Thanks!

Uwe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

I cannot reproduce your problem by following your instructions.

Are you perhaps making edits to the images and have some of the filters turned on in the contact sheet (ratings or color class widgets in the bottom-right corner of the window)?  If the images no longer meet your filter criteria, they will be filtered out.

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Hi Kirk,

sorry I forget one step, I do a Sub-Search inside the first results:

I do execute a saved search to find all images with "dxo" in the filename.
The search goes through my photo directory structure with sub-folders!
plib->2014->14-01-20
                 ->14-10-30

I get  the contact sheet with all the search related pictures.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I do a Find inside the results contact sheet to get all pictures with "berlin" inside the keywords.
As an result I get the pictures with "berlin" as an keyword selected in the contact sheet
I press "F2" to show only the selected pictures.

Now I had drill down the search to all pictures with "dxo" inside the filename and with "berlin" as an keyword - fine :-)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I double click on one picture to get the viewer window - works. I can go through the pictures inside the viewer window using the pref- and next-key

Now I close the viewer window with ESC-key ord CMD-w
I'm back on the contact sheet but this contains only the latest viewed picture from the viewer window :-((
The tab has the name of of my search - in my case "DXO-Output".

Thanks!

Uwe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

What happens if you set the contact sheet to view all photos instead of the selected ones?

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk,
then it works, but I can't got in the viewer through the pictures and loose the selection of the other pictures, if I open one picture in the viewer. So no way for me.

Regards Uwe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

then it works, but I can't got in the viewer through the pictures and loose the selection of the other pictures, if I open one picture in the viewer. So no way for me.

I don't understand what you're saying.  Please restate what you're trying to say.

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk,
when I set the contact sheet to view all photos instead of only the selected ones it works.
But I can't go with the viewer through only the selected pictures. I loose the selected pictures, when I open one picture in the viewer.
So it's no way for me :-(

I think its a problem with the sub-search ( a find inside the search results)...
I first search pictures and second I do a find inside the first searched pictures. Then I will only do work (open in viewer, export and so on) with the founded pictures...

Can you reproduce this?

Thanks Uwe
--

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kirk,
when I set the contact sheet to view all photos instead of only the selected ones it works.
But I can't go with the viewer through only the selected pictures. I loose the selected pictures, when I open one picture in the viewer.
So it's no way for me :-(

I think its a problem with the sub-search ( a find inside the search results)...
I first search pictures and second I do a find inside the first searched pictures. Then I will only do work (open in viewer, export and so on) with the founded pictures...

Can you reproduce this?

The act of editing the selected photos is changing the selection status on the photos.  Since you have the contact sheet set to filter out all images that aren't selected, the images that become deselected are then filtered out.  In the Preview Preferences, try unchecking the "Synchronize single selection between Preview and Contact Sheet" and see if that keeps your images from becoming deselected.

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk,
the direction was right - I must unset "Rescan contact sheet when Preview closes"
That solves my problem :-)

Cool - PM is fantastic!

Thanks for your support!

Regards
Uwe
--

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

the direction was right - I must unset "Rescan contact sheet when Preview closes"
That solves my problem :-)

Be sure to select all of the images again as soon as you can because if you were to switch out of PM and then back into PM again, it will rescan the folder and re-filter once the scan is complete.  Your images would then disappear again if they haven't been selected.

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk, thanks for this hint :-)

Uwe
--