Author Topic: Photomechanic 5 slow to load with New SSD  (Read 6519 times)

Offline pb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photomechanic 5 slow to load with New SSD
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:49:52 AM »
I have noticed it sems to take much longer for Photomechanic 5 to start up i recently  changed over to a SSD startup disk which contains all my apps and some data. More the 30 seconds so i am  wondering is this  normal it seems like it is lloking for some missing parts.
i am running it on a late 2009  8 core 2.66 ghz macpro running Yosemite 10.10  with  32 gigs of RAM. (slow even before I INSTALLED MAVERICKS )
Other programs such as Photoshop, light room are much faster to load  ???

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photomechanic 5 slow to load with New SSD
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »
I have noticed it sems to take much longer for Photomechanic 5 to start up i recently  changed over to a SSD startup disk which contains all my apps and some data. More the 30 seconds so i am  wondering is this  normal it seems like it is lloking for some missing parts.
i am running it on a late 2009  8 core 2.66 ghz macpro running Yosemite 10.10  with  32 gigs of RAM. (slow even before I INSTALLED MAVERICKS )
Other programs such as Photoshop, light room are much faster to load  ???

Generally, slow startup is due to overly large Disk Cache settings and/or not emptying the cache when PM quits.  What do your Disk Cache preferences look like (Preferences->Caching)?

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:23:51 PM »
Kirk,

I have been having this same problem for quite some time, and finally decided to look into it. Here are the settings that I use for PM (build 16299) on a 16GB MacBook pro running Yosemite (10.10.3) with a 512GB SSD drive.

Should I change something?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »
Mick,

I have been having this same problem for quite some time, and finally decided to look into it. Here are the settings that I use for PM (build 16299) on a 16GB MacBook pro running Yosemite (10.10.3) with a 512GB SSD drive.

Should I change something?

Make your Disk Cache 1024 MB and your Memory Cache 512 MB.

If the problem is slow startup, it is likely that it is taking a long time for the Navigator and Favorites to scan your mounted volumes.  Are any of them servers?

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
No servers, but I do have a couple WD Passports connected via USB3.0. I generally only use this for long term storage after I have done everything I plan to do with image files. IT seems emptying the Disk and Sort cache made a big difference in start-up speed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Mick,

No servers, but I do have a couple WD Passports connected via USB3.0. I generally only use this for long term storage after I have done everything I plan to do with image files. IT seems emptying the Disk and Sort cache made a big difference in start-up speed.

If those drives spin down for a time, then they'll have to spin up when PM starts up.  PM will want to get the information of all of the root directories on all mounted volumes on startup.

If you want to take them out of the equation, just unmount them prior to launching PM and see if that makes any difference.

-Kirk