Author Topic: Ignore file extention when loading selection file  (Read 8822 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Ignore file extention when loading selection file
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:57:09 AM »
It would be great to make considering the file extention optional. There could be a checkbox on the load file dialog or ned to the load button to set if I want to use the extensions in the file list or not.
I often receive lists with jpg extensions from edited pictures or some times people don't write the extention on the list, but I have to match them to the RAW or TIFF files. It is possible to open the list in a text editor and change the extention from JPG to RAW or vica versa, but it would make life much easier if I could skip this text editing step and just use the list without considering the differences in the extention if I need it that way, but one could turn it on and use it in the current way if one does need the extention taken into account when matching the lists.

Maybe saving the list could also have a check box if one needs the extention saved into the list or not, but the load and the method of matching the filenames seems to be more of an issue for me.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline 808Studios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore file extention when loading selection file
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »
I also would like to see this, is this something that's been updated?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
No.  The matching of filenames matches on the entire filename.

If a folder contained a RAW, TIFF, and a JPEG all with the same base name, then matching on base name would select all three.  This is what you'd want?

-Kirk

Offline 808Studios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »
I get a list of the filename without the extention from my customers for album choices.  I would love to be able to load that txt into PM then select the ones they want to add a color class or tag them so I know which ones to edit.  If I was able to select just the filenames reguardless of extention that would work for me.  Or if it just ignored the extentions that would work also, or if I could say select the .jpg of these filenames that would do.

It would save me hours to be able to load them for one wedding x 50 weddings a year would be amazing!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
I get a list of the filename without the extention from my customers for album choices.  I would love to be able to load that txt into PM then select the ones they want to add a color class or tag them so I know which ones to edit.  If I was able to select just the filenames reguardless of extention that would work for me.  Or if it just ignored the extentions that would work also, or if I could say select the .jpg of these filenames that would do.

It would save me hours to be able to load them for one wedding x 50 weddings a year would be amazing!

How is it that the file is generated such that the filename extension is not included?  Photo Mechanic certainly won't do that when making selections.

-Kirk

Offline 808Studios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
I get the list from my online hosting company, shootproof.  my customers tag their favorites online then they give me a list on the backend of the filenames but it doesnt have the extension

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
szurkebarat, 808Studios,

While not a perfect solution, perhaps the following little command can be helpful in this case:
Code: [Select]
perl -ni -e 'my $l = $_; chomp($l); print qq($l.$_\n) for (qw(jpg tif))' FILEReplace FILE with the name of the selection file and extend the list (jpg tif) with any other file types you like. Th command will replace each line in the file with copies, but now with the listed extensions added.
Above command is for use in the Mac OS X Terminal (and instead of type in in the FILE, just drop the file from the Finder in the Terminal window).

If you're on windows, the command should work with just a small change (and of course, any version of perl installed), I haven't tested this though:
perl -ni -e "my $l = $_; chomp($l); print qq($l.$_\n) for (qw(jpg tif))" FILE
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Hayo,

szurkebarat, 808Studios,

While not a perfect solution, perhaps the following little command can be helpful in this case:
perl -ni -e 'my $l = $_; chomp($l); print qq($l.$_\n) for (qw(jpg tif))' FILEReplace FILE with the name of the selection file and extend the list (jpg tif) with any other file types you like. Th command will replace each line in the file with copies, but now with the listed extensions added.
Above command is for use in the Mac OS X Terminal (and instead of type in in the FILE, just drop the file from the Finder in the Terminal window).

If you're on windows, the command should work with just a small change (and of course, any version of perl installed), I haven't tested this though:

That's great, but I think I'll just match exact names first (including extensions), then no case extensions, then no case names ignoring extensions.  That would be the most flexible and would help the most people possible without requiring them to adjust to Photo Mechanic's expectations.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »
Hayo,

szurkebarat, 808Studios,

That's great, but I think I'll just match exact names first (including extensions), then no case extensions, then no case names ignoring extensions.  That would be the most flexible and would help the most people possible without requiring them to adjust to Photo Mechanic's expectations.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I think your fix will be a welcome final solution. Until then, people can use my little command to help out :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline 808Studios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »
Thank you Hayo and Kirk, I'm still on version 4 so this will be the reason to pay for the upgrade.  Thanks!