Author Topic: long initial load time  (Read 5047 times)

Offline TonyField

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
long initial load time
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »
PM 4433 can take 40 seconds to load on a 3.6 GHz, 2 GB system running WIN XP.

If the computer is cold-started, PM's splash screen immediately loads however the first data window will start in 40 seconds.  Subsequent reloads will take 3 seconds.  However, if PM is exited and multiple large photoshop images are processed (or any other file-intensive operations such as running a C++ compiler etc) and PM is restarted it can again take from 20-40 seconds to load.

It seems as if the various files that PM needs are in the windows file cache, the load time is a quite reasonable 3 seconds.   If the cache does not contain all or many of the needed files, the load time is slow.

This problem has persisted for the past year.  I was wondering if any progress has been made to rectify this behavior.

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Re: long initial load time
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
I don't know if this will be any help for you, but personally I "solved" this problem by setting PM so, that it doesn't open Navigator and Favorites "windows" when it starts. If I keep those two windows open, it takes a lot longer to load. Without those two windows it opens in about 5 sec. But personally I don't need any of those two windows in my workflow so I can afford to live without them :)
PS: When you open Navigator window once PM is already running, it opens in second.

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:51:04 PM »

Do you have any network or subst mapped drive letters?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »

If the computer is cold-started, PM's splash screen immediately loads however the first data window will start in 40 seconds.  Subsequent reloads will take 3 seconds.  However, if PM is exited and multiple large photoshop images are processed (or any other file-intensive operations such as running a C++ compiler etc) and PM is restarted it can again take from 20-40 seconds to load.

It seems as if the various files that PM needs are in the windows file cache, the load time is a quite reasonable 3 seconds.   If the cache does not contain all or many of the needed files, the load time is slow.

This problem has persisted for the past year.  I was wondering if any progress has been made to rectify this behavior.

Do you have a lot of folders expanded in the Navigator and/or Favorites?  If so, they have to scan the various folders to build their trees and this can take some time.  Collapse any portions of the filesystems that you don't need opened and things should speed up somewhat.

Also, if you have Photo Mechanic maintain a large Disk Cache that you don't empty on quit then Photo Mechanic has to scan the cache to find all existing files.  I suggest setting the disk cache to no more than 500 MB and to have it empty on quit.

HTH,

-Kirk