Author Topic: Long wait for ingest pane to appear  (Read 6324 times)

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
Long wait for ingest pane to appear
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
It is now taking about 15 secs for the ingest pane to show after selecting Ingest.

This started to happen about the same time that I started to have a similar delay when I right-click on a jpg to get the context window (windows 8.1)

I think it could be the result of cleaning up some unused programs and one not being removed cleanly, so the right click might be looking for a program that is no longer there. But this is just a guess and the two issues might well be unrelated.

Any suggestions where to look for the cause?

Many thanks

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Long wait for ingest pane to appear
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
Jim,

I don't know why a context menu inside PM would be slow, other than the Info text needs to be created (for the first item in the context menu, it has to get metadata from the file if it isn't already in memory.)

As for Ingest startup time, Ingest gets info on all mounted drives.  If one of them is slow then Ingest will take time to appear.  If you know you never want to ingest from a particular drive, you can put a folder on the root of the drive and name it "PMIngestIgnore" and PM will ignore that drive when it scans drives.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
Sorry for my lack of clarity, Kirk.

The slow context menu is in Windows not PM and only occurs when I rightclick on a jpg file. But since the delays are similar in length and started at the same time, I though there might be a common cause. I dont see delays in accessing the drives generally.

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
Jim,

Sorry for my lack of clarity, Kirk.

The slow context menu is in Windows not PM and only occurs when I rightclick on a jpg file. But since the delays are similar in length and started at the same time, I though there might be a common cause. I dont see delays in accessing the drives generally.

Then I expect it is something specific to your computer that needs to be addressed.  Is there some new application that you added or perhaps removed recently?

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
Then I expect it is something specific to your computer that needs to be addressed.  Is there some new application that you added or perhaps removed recently?
-Kirk
Probably a removed application. Several weeks ago I was trying out and deleting several applications. But the problem is that I don't know how to track down the offending application that might affect both PM and the right click on jpgs. I've looked for help across the web, but not found anything that might help. I was just hoping that you might have some clues from knowing PM so well.

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:51:39 AM »
Jim,

Probably a removed application. Several weeks ago I was trying out and deleting several applications. But the problem is that I don't know how to track down the offending application that might affect both PM and the right click on jpgs. I've looked for help across the web, but not found anything that might help. I was just hoping that you might have some clues from knowing PM so well.

If you start up in "Safe Mode" does the problem go away?

I would start with the Windows Task Manager and look at what processes are running and see if any of them are ones you don't recognize.  You could kill them off one-by-one (note: if you kill off services or processes that the system depends on (by mistake) then your system can become unstable or unresponsive but a hard reboot will recover, be sure to quit all apps that you work with prior to your experimentation) and see if things improve.  If you then identify which process or service that is lingering, you can then find it on your hard drive and delete it so that it won't start up again.  (I would first move it to a backup location just in case it needs to be put back.)

Good luck.  If you feel uncomfortable with the task, I would have a Windows technician take a look at your system instead.

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
Many thanks for those suggestions, Kirk.

Working with the services and processes did not get anywhere.  But it did get me thinking about other directions and I  looked in the registry for ContextMenuHandlers.

I found a couple of candidates there and when I deleted the registry entries for the Photostream item everything was back to normal, both the PM delays and also the context menus on jpgs.

It was nice to confirm that the two problems actually were related.

Thanks for getting me thinking :-)

Jim