Author Topic: Contact sheet thumbnail quality issue  (Read 6357 times)

Offline zmimi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Contact sheet thumbnail quality issue
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »
Hi,

I have been using Photo Mechanic since 2009.  When I launched Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 15800 on a newly purchased Macbook Pro, I noticed immediately that in PM the Contact Sheet thumbnail preview of RAW or JPEG images appeared to be "jagged", as if the images are of very low /quality resolution or overly sharpened. Kinda hurts my eye to look at.  I turned all the display quality preference settings to Best, restarted, but that didn't help the contact sheet thumbnail display.

Today at the Apple Store, I was told to import an image into iPhoto to compare the quality of the thumbnail. Sure enough, the image thumbnail appears to be perfectly smooth in iPhoto. The explanation was that some sort of "HD" thumbnail setting update is required in the software.   

Additionally, in Photo Mechanic Preview mode, images looks less "jagged", acceptable to look at. but overall not as sharp or smooth as it appears in iPhoto.

Here is my laptop specs:

Mid2014 15 inch MacBook Pro,

OS X 10.9.5 
retina display
16GB RAM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Please update and don't let me use iPhoto? The attached image is a screen capture. The top image is from PM and bottom is thumbnail from iPhoto.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:36:07 PM by zmimi »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Contact sheet thumbnail quality issue
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
Check the preferences of PM, there's a setting that controls the quality on hidpi screens (I'm not near my computer so I can't be more specific).

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
I have been using Photo Mechanic since 2009.  When I launched Photo Mechanic 5.0, build 15800 on a newly purchased Macbook Pro, I noticed immediately that in PM the Contact Sheet thumbnail preview of RAW or JPEG images appeared to be "jagged", as if the images are of very low /quality resolution or overly sharpened. Kinda hurts my eye to look at.  I turned all the display quality preference settings to Best, restarted, but that didn't help the contact sheet thumbnail display.

To be clear, you've adjusted the popup menu titled "High DPI Display Quality:" in the Contact Sheet and Preview preferences to "Best (uses more memory)"?  If so, it could be that your low resolution thumbnails have been cached.  You can clear the cache by going the Caching preferences and choosing "Empty Now" and then quit and relaunch Photo Mechanic.

I have a laptop similar to yours and it shows thumbnails and previews in high resolution.  I spent about a month adding code to PM in version 5 to specifically handle high DPI screens, and we added high resolution icons throughout the application.  PM 5 is optimized for Retina-displays.

-Kirk

Offline zmimi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:51 PM »
Thanks! Emptying cache and relaunching PM did the trick after setting display preferences to "Best (uses more memory)".