Author Topic: ingest fail on new maverics mac  (Read 2377 times)

Offline pmathew

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ingest fail on new maverics mac
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:26:22 AM »
Hi, Ive just upgraded to a new mid 2014 macbook pro running mavericks 10.9.4, I did a migration from 2011 macbook pro running 10.7.5
I also bought a new usb 3 card reader which I used to ingest a CF card though PM 4.6.9 (which had migrated from old laptop). I had done a small test which seemed to be fine but my first large (15GB) ingest failed about half way through seemed like the ingest had stalled and the ingest widow reported errors with the last several files ..... it might have still been importing the files, though very slowly and with errors, they weren't showing up in the contact sheet.
I cancelled the ingest, and opened the card directly from the desktop which showed nothing there.
I ejected the card and thinking that it might be a bad card reader or OS problem ingested the card into my old laptop with my old usb 2 card reader (though PM ) luckily with no problem.
I then directly copied the card onto the new computer with the new usb 3 card without using PM and again with no problem.
sorry to be so long winded but I wonder if there is a simple problem like my CF card is starting to fail or I have a bad card reader or perhaps my migration from old lion computer to new mavericks one might have something to do with it.
Is it time to upgrade to PM 5?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ingest fail on new maverics mac
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
Hi, Ive just upgraded to a new mid 2014 macbook pro running mavericks 10.9.4, I did a migration from 2011 macbook pro running 10.7.5
I also bought a new usb 3 card reader which I used to ingest a CF card though PM 4.6.9 (which had migrated from old laptop). I had done a small test which seemed to be fine but my first large (15GB) ingest failed about half way through seemed like the ingest had stalled and the ingest widow reported errors with the last several files ..... it might have still been importing the files, though very slowly and with errors, they weren't showing up in the contact sheet.
I cancelled the ingest, and opened the card directly from the desktop which showed nothing there.
I ejected the card and thinking that it might be a bad card reader or OS problem ingested the card into my old laptop with my old usb 2 card reader (though PM ) luckily with no problem.
I then directly copied the card onto the new computer with the new usb 3 card without using PM and again with no problem.
sorry to be so long winded but I wonder if there is a simple problem like my CF card is starting to fail or I have a bad card reader or perhaps my migration from old lion computer to new mavericks one might have something to do with it.
Is it time to upgrade to PM 5?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

It sounds like the directory contents of the card were misreported to Photo Mechanic.  Did you have a different card in the reader prior to ingesting the above card?  If so, how did you unmount it?  If you didn't 'eject' or drag the card to the Trash, but instead simply pulled the old card out and inserted the new one, then the OS didn't detect the change and acted as if the old card was still in the drive.

If this is not the case and you either properly unmounted the last card, or you started with no other cards before this card, why not simply try again and see if the problem is reproducible?

If the problem is reproducible, I'd then try different cards.  If they also fail, then I'd suspect some sort of incompatibility between the new computer (and its OS) and your USB 3 card reader.

If the problem doesn't occur with other cards, but still occurs with the one card, I'd suspect it is failing and running the Disk Utility on it with a Verify Disk may answer some questions.

As for upgrading to PM 5, that's up to you.  There are a number of improvements in PM 5 over PM 4.6.  It's up to you to decide if the upgrade is worth it to you.

-Kirk