Author Topic: Problem zooming to 100% on Fuji RAF/JPEG Files  (Read 4703 times)

Offline AndyB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem zooming to 100% on Fuji RAF/JPEG Files
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »
Hi All - I'm just testing Photo Mechanic. I use Nikon and Fuji cameras, often on the same jobs. With the Nikons I shoot RAW only. With the Fuji's I tend to shoot RAF + Jpeg as in certain circumstances I'll opt to use the jpeg files. In Photo Mechanic I'm finding I can zoom in to 100% on the Nikon files (D700 and D800) and get a clear idea of critical sharpness. However, with the Fuji files, when I zoom to 100% it's nowhere near close enough. I assume this is something to do with the Jpeg preview in the RAF file, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Does anyone know what to do? Have other Fuji (XT1, X100s, XPro1) owners had any similar issues?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem zooming to 100% on Fuji RAF/JPEG Files
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:56:27 PM »
Andy,

Hi All - I'm just testing Photo Mechanic. I use Nikon and Fuji cameras, often on the same jobs. With the Nikons I shoot RAW only. With the Fuji's I tend to shoot RAF + Jpeg as in certain circumstances I'll opt to use the jpeg files. In Photo Mechanic I'm finding I can zoom in to 100% on the Nikon files (D700 and D800) and get a clear idea of critical sharpness. However, with the Fuji files, when I zoom to 100% it's nowhere near close enough. I assume this is something to do with the Jpeg preview in the RAF file, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Does anyone know what to do? Have other Fuji (XT1, X100s, XPro1) owners had any similar issues?

It's quite possible that the previews in your RAF files are of low resolution.  There may be a setting in your camera that allows you to control the quality of the RAW files that are produced.

Another option would be to convert your RAF files to DNG, telling the DNG Converter to use full resolution previews.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline AndyB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
Hi Kirk - Thank you for your reply. I will try the DNG technique as I can't find a way to change the size of the Jpeg preview in the RAF files.

I should have added that I am using OS 10.8.5 and PM 5 on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Thanks again.

Offline AndyB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 01:01:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

If it turns out that converting the Fuji RAF files to DNG is the only way to get PM to use a full resolution preview file, what do you think would be the quickest way to convert the files to DNG?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Offline AndyB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »
Hi - Problem solved!

I asked a similar question on a Fuji forum and the one reply I received said they thought the Jpeg preview was based on the size of Jpeg selected when you shoot Jpeg + RAF. While this didn't make sense as I only shoot full res Jpegs + RAF but was still getting the lo-res previews, it did put me on the right track. In my Lightroom workflow, I put the RAFs in a different folder to the jpegs. This was the only way I knew to avoid having to cycle through two versions of the same image. So, when I imported the images into PM, I was only sending the RAF files and was getting the low res preview. However, the Fuji forum answer prompted me to try importing the same images with the Jpeg files in the same folder as the RAFs. This worked perfectly and I now have the full size previews I need.

Thanks for your help, now to test PM properly!