Author Topic: Ingesting Images  (Read 4336 times)

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting Images
« on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »
I shoot tethered to my laptop in my camera room. I then Ingest the images via PM to my graphics workstation. This is done over my local network. Here's the problem. It takes forever (about 10-15 minutes) before the images actually started getting injected. Once the ingest starts, then the images images comes in as you would expect. Here's my process.

I open the Ingest panel on my graphics PC. I check to make sure "Ingest Folders" is selected. I then either Add or select the folder on my laptop that contains the images I want to ingest. I set the appropriate destination folder, then click "Ingest". I then wait for 10-15 minutes, then the ingest actually starts.  Why is this? What's it doing before the ingest starts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting Images
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
It is scanning the entire drive that you selected.  Try Ingest from Folders instead.

-Kirk

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
Kirk,

I'm confused. Did you read my second paragraph? "Ingest Folders" is exactly what I do. It takes forever before it starts. Once it starts I'm good.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
I'm confused. Did you read my second paragraph? "Ingest Folders" is exactly what I do. It takes forever before it starts. Once it starts I'm good.

Sorry I missed that.  How many files and folders does the folder you added have in it?

-Kirk

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »
Typically 50-150. WHen I do it, I get a "Scanning source paths..." in the Ingest Tasks panel. Then I wait. And wait. And wait. Finally after several minuets, the ingest starts.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
Typically 50-150. WHen I do it, I get a "Scanning source paths..." in the Ingest Tasks panel. Then I wait. And wait. And wait. Finally after several minuets, the ingest starts.

50 to 150 files?  Or 50 to 150 folders?

-Kirk

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »
I just looked at the folder I'm importing again. I haven't tested this but could this be the case? Inside of the folder of images I'm trying to import is another folder (It's a Capture One folder). Inside of there are several thousand files. Does PhotoMechanic scan the targetted folder as well as folders inside the targetted folder?

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
50-150 image files. But again, there is that one folder with several thousand files in it as well.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »
Are you running PM on Mac OS X or Windows?

-Kirk

Offline mgreer316

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
Win 7.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
I want you to turn on some logging, do an ingest, and then get the log back to me.  In order to turn the logging on, you'll need to create a file named PMDebug.txt and you have to place it among Photo Mechanic's preferences files.  Photo Mechanic's preferences files are stored in the following location:

<your home folder>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Create the PMDebug.txt with your favorite text editor (it must be plain text and not some RTF or Word document.)  It needs to have the following contents:

INGEST_LOGGING ON

Save the PMDebug.txt file to the above folder.  Then run the new version of Photo Mechanic and reproduce the problem.  Next, go to the Help menu and choose the 'Reveal Support Data...' menu item.  Your PM.log file should now be compressed and a Windows Explorer window should come forward and show you the file.  Please send it back to me as an email attachment.  I will send you a personal message with an email address that you can send an email to with the zipped log file attached.

Thanks,

-Kirk