Author Topic: What's a good PM > LR workflow that includes videos?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Tir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
What's a good PM > LR workflow that includes videos?
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
I'm having some trouble coming up with a consistent way to cull dumps from cameras and quickly drag and drop the picks into LR in one go. I don't take many videos, so I want all of them to be dragged into LR with my photo picks. The problems I've run into are because PM doesn't let me tag or rate videos.

If I tag my photo picks with the tick, I can't just filter by tagged to drag into LR, because videos won't show up. If I then show all, and try to select the videos and drag those separately, it introduces the possibility of user error and I might miss some.

Same problem with filtering by ratings (which is my preferred filter) because I can't attach a rating to video. I don't really care if LR doesn't know what I rate the videos, I just want it to work in PM for filtering.

Only thing I can think of is to switch things around and tag/tick the bad photos I don't want, and sort by untagged to drag to LR. But this feels very unintuitive and I was wondering if there's a smarter way to do this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What's a good PM > LR workflow that includes videos?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »
I'm having some trouble coming up with a consistent way to cull dumps from cameras and quickly drag and drop the picks into LR in one go. I don't take many videos, so I want all of them to be dragged into LR with my photo picks. The problems I've run into are because PM doesn't let me tag or rate videos.

If I tag my photo picks with the tick, I can't just filter by tagged to drag into LR, because videos won't show up. If I then show all, and try to select the videos and drag those separately, it introduces the possibility of user error and I might miss some.

Same problem with filtering by ratings (which is my preferred filter) because I can't attach a rating to video. I don't really care if LR doesn't know what I rate the videos, I just want it to work in PM for filtering.

Only thing I can think of is to switch things around and tag/tick the bad photos I don't want, and sort by untagged to drag to LR. But this feels very unintuitive and I was wondering if there's a smarter way to do this.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running and what OS are you running Photo Mechanic on?

-Kirk

Offline Tir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running and what OS are you running Photo Mechanic on?

-Kirk

Just trying the trial, so 15800. Win7 at the moment.

I actually had an instance where it seemed like colour labels were sticking to videos as they showed up on a one-colour filter - I thought, "aha, you can label them after all, it just doesn't show on the thumbnail"... but then I couldn't get the colour label to change on them and when I restarted the program they were no longer filtered with the colour. Was weird.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:52:46 PM »
... to cull dumps from cameras and quickly drag and drop the picks into LR in one go ...
...  and when I restarted the program they were no longer filtered with the colour. Was weird.

Are you working on the memory card or do you have the images/videos already ingested to the local HDD? PM does not write any ratings, etc to images/videos that are still on the card. (by default)
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Tir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
These were already ingested. Or rather, I've been testing the program on photos/videos that were already imported to an external HD through other means. Are you suggesting that PM should already have the ability to tag/rate videos?

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »
I have not shot videos in the past so I used one out of my iTunes-library.
I am working on a Mac...
- created a new folder
- copied a few images and a music video (mpg format) into the folder
- color-tagges some images and the video.
- Restarted PM
- after re opening the folder the images and the video have been selected with the applied color class.

A XMP-file was created for the video.

You could open the preferences in PM, goto the IPTC/XMP section and use the lightning-button to load the recommended setting for Adobe products and try again.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Tir

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
Ah I see the problem. Inspired by your test I tried it on some older mp4/mov videos, and indeed they can be tagged like photos.

I ran into this problem because of the AVCHD .m2ts videos that come from my A6000. PM can't play those, but I'd still like to be able to tag them just for ease of filtering before dropping them into Lightroom (which can play them).