Author Topic: Ingest Dialog tweak  (Read 9397 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Ingest Dialog tweak
« on: January 22, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »
In the Ingest... dialog, would it be possible to either make the current Folder Name field larger, or to have a separate box for the path to the folder name?  My problem is that if the name has several variables in it to create a dated folder structure during ingest, the actual job name that I want to fill in for each ingest is often hidden off to the right of the text box.  Another way would be to have a 'Final Folder Name' (or somesuch) field within the Ingest dialog, then a variable taking its value from that Final Folder Name field could be put into the existing Folder Name field as part of the path to be created, so that the path structure in the Folder Name field can be left untouched on each ingest and the final folder name quickly added.  Am I making sense? :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest Dialog tweak
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »
In the Ingest... dialog, would it be possible to either make the current Folder Name field larger, or to have a separate box for the path to the folder name?  My problem is that if the name has several variables in it to create a dated folder structure during ingest, the actual job name that I want to fill in for each ingest is often hidden off to the right of the text box.  Another way would be to have a 'Final Folder Name' (or somesuch) field within the Ingest dialog, then a variable taking its value from that Final Folder Name field could be put into the existing Folder Name field as part of the path to be created, so that the path structure in the Folder Name field can be left untouched on each ingest and the final folder name quickly added.  Am I making sense? :)

Kinda.  Could you post a screen shot and doctor it up the way you want it to work?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
I think this i sthe issue...I dont have the time to make the mock up accurate...

If I use a font close in size to what you use, my text is too long

"{year2}{month0}{day0}_{jobname}/{foldernum}"

thats way I typically use

which means that I have to scroll to see what the entire string is...

I also think we're looing for something jsut like when you RENAME a file...and it tells me what the RENAMED file will be...

make sense???

[attachment deleted by admin]
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:12 PM »
I think this i sthe issue...I dont have the time to make the mock up accurate...

I also think we're looing for something jsut like when you RENAME a file...and it tells me what the RENAMED file will be...

make sense???

Yes.  The reason we don't show you what the folder name will be is we don't know what the name will be until we start ingesting files.  It is entirely possible to use a folder naming string that would put each photo in its own folder.  So what should we show?  We show the variables you entered...

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »
can u make the box bigger
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:11:47 PM »
can u make the box bigger

I'm sure we can.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:11:22 AM »

make sense???

Yes that's a simlar setup to me.  I don't use the {jobname} variable itself, but put my own job name into the folder name field manually when I ingest the card, in about the same place as {jobname} variable in dbrouse's example.  It's this bit that is usually off the end of the field which I need to scroll to.  A larger box would certainly be the simplest solution for most I expect. :)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:22 PM »
Hello, I am a new user of PM, although before buying I tried the trial version a lot. I have one suggestion on this one - I ingest using {dats} variable, followed by a name of the particular assignment. As I am a newspaper shooter, I may be doing quite several assignments daily. Editing the Job name in its separate would be quite cumbersome.

It would be I think nice if you put a separate input field in the Ingest dialog which would translate into {job} or something. That way, one could have quite long directory making variables script, plus a separate input field to enter the job name quickly, without having to either go to separate dialog or scroll to the end of the variables string to do it manually. Something like this (vis the attached screenshot, with new things in red).

Where there is a second text input box for {IngestName} (or it could be directly {job} ), where to quickly input the current job name. There is also a variable {IngestName} (or again, just use {job} which could be put anywhere in the directory creating (or also the renaming) string.

In my opinion, this wouldn't be hard to implement, and could speed up the ingest process especially for people with more complex variable strings.

On the other hand, please keep the ingest dialog not growing much in size. Cram the fields together more, if you add this additional field (or other options). There are subnotebooks with less than 1024/768 resolution (some with 600pix height) screens, so being able to see the whole dialog on them is a boon. Especially if you lug all the photo equipment smallish subnotebook is a boon. I myself use Touhgbook with 600 height screen time to time...Thanks!

And thanks for the great support I have seen here in the older posts! That was the thing that (apart from the superb features) singled PM for me from other programs I evaluated to buy.

[attachment deleted by admin]