Author Topic: applying a color class takes forever  (Read 6176 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
applying a color class takes forever
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
Dear Forum,

here at work I'm running PM 4.6.9 on Windows 7. Since yesterday I experience that applying a color class to sets of NEF+JPG photos of a Nikon D800 takes a very long time. E.g. for 17 photos PM needed 44 minutes. For a single file it also take several minutes. Everything else (saving as JPG with watermark etc.) works on a normal level.
The photos have been processed from RAW to JPG using Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop 5.5.

My cache settings are:
Disk Cache Size: 1024 MB with 512 MB reserve. Empty cache on exit is checked as well as remove cached files. Memory cache size is also 1024 MB.

Any ideas on what to look for?

Thanks,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: applying a color class takes forever
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
Where are the photos stored?  Are you embedding XMP or using XMP sidecars?

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:16 AM »

-Kirk

Network server. The RAW conversion creates XMP sidecars. Just double checked: yes the timelag happens only with these files that consist as a triplet of NEF, JPG and XMP.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »

-Kirk

Network server. The RAW conversion creates XMP sidecars. Just double checked: yes the timelag happens only with these files that consist as a triplet of NEF, JPG and XMP.

Setting a colour class (or whatever other metadata) has PM update the file. This can be slow over a network, especially if the files are big. In case of raw files, you can have PM just update the xmp file which is small and updates to it should be fairly quick (please double check your IPTC/XMP preferences that you are really not embedding IPTC/XMP into raw files). JPG files on the other hand will have to be gotten off the server (if not already in cache), updated, and written back. Depending on the size and network speed, this can take some time. D800 files (even just a jpg) are huge, so things are worsened.
The extend to which you are seeing lags (multiple minutes), leads me to suspect something else is at play here too. Does the contact sheet fill up pretty quick? If so, then the problem seems to be focussed on writing. Perhaps there is a problem with your server? How long does it take to copy a new file of several MBs (e.g., the size of a D800 file) to the server (in the same directory)?

Hope we can get a bit closer to a solution,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »
Thank you Hayo and Kirk!
Took me a while to get a hold of our network admin and to get him check into this matter. He says it is a virtual server. He thinks that indeed the file size might be a problem. So I moved the files from the network server to my local drive (with the disadvantage of having no automatic back-up) in order to process the files with metadata etc. But the problem with these files seemed to have moved just along. Applying meta or a crop took also forever. I fought my way through these problem files. So issue solved.
I now ingest all my files (including D800 NEF) directly to my local drive with the same workflow. With all these files there is no issue at all.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:08:56 AM by heavymeister »

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
I now ingest all my files (including D800 NEF) directly to my local drive with the same workflow.

Is there any value in having PM simultaneously copy ingested files to the network drive, giving you the backup you seem now to be lacking?

I do similar with my files, which go to my C drive and an external drive each session.

Regards,

Roger
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
I now ingest all my files (including D800 NEF) directly to my local drive with the same workflow.

Is there any value in having PM simultaneously copy ingested files to the network drive, giving you the backup you seem now to be lacking?

That is indeed what the Secondary Ingest destination is for.

-Kirk

Offline RogerGW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »
That is indeed what the Secondary Ingest destination is for.

I got the feeling that the OP's IT people might find that problematical, which is why I put the suggestion tentatively.

Cheers,

Roger
Roger Whitehead
Using PM 6.0, build 5376, under Windows 10 Home, version 20H2