Author Topic: Problem Printing Contact Sheet to PDF  (Read 5095 times)

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem Printing Contact Sheet to PDF
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:59 AM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 15800 (e6ecc1c) / OS X 10.10.1 / Retina iMac

I've been switching over my system to a new iMac Retina and have been having a problem printing Contact Sheet PDFs.

Normally I use the "Save as Adobe PDF" option so I can use the custom settings to make a much smaller PDF Contact sheet than is possible via the Mac's "Save as PDF" option.

Since switching over to the new Retina iMac when I save as an Adobe PDF, it progresses normally till it asks in the "Save as Adobe PDF" dialog box for "Adobe PDF Settings" - In the Settings pull down menu it only shows the Standard Generic Adobe options and not any of my custom options. Clicking on Continue prompts me to enter a Save As name & location - On doing so and clicking on Save it returns "An error occurred while saving the PDF file"

It's as if PM5 cannot find the Adobe Acrobat/Distiller to generate the PDF file.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to how I might resurrect this ability?

It works fine on the old iMac with the same OSX system software (OS 10.10.1) so it doesn't appear to be a software incompatibility

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:41:27 PM by calfoto »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem Printing Contact Sheet to PDF
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:56:53 PM »
Photo Mechanic uses the Apple-provided printing framework to print pages.  I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the Apple framework is used in both the "Save as PDF" as well as the "Save as Adobe PDF" options?

The customization of the PDF I've been using is specified in the Adobe Distiller options as there aren't really any similar ones available in the Apple Save as PDF that I've found.

The error dialogue box does have an Automator icon, so I'm assuming that must be used somewhere along the line to pass along the commands to Adobe's distiller perhaps?

I'm really trying to figure out what the problem might be, as creating PDF Contact/Proof Sheets from within PM5 is something I need to do on a daily basis.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, the Apple framework is used in both the "Save as PDF" as well as the "Save as Adobe PDF" options?

Photo Mechanic prints to the Apple-provided printing framework.  PM doesn't know you're even saving a PDF.

The customization of the PDF I've been using is specified in the Adobe Distiller options as there aren't really any similar ones available in the Apple Save as PDF that I've found.

The error dialogue box does have an Automator icon, so I'm assuming that must be used somewhere along the line to pass along the commands to Adobe's distiller perhaps?

Photo Mechanic does not directly use Automator, it does not know it exists.  I imagine that's how Adobe is running things.

I'm really trying to figure out what the problem might be, as creating PDF Contact/Proof Sheets from within PM5 is something I need to do on a daily basis.

I suggest contacting Adobe for this issue.

-Kirk

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »
I suggest contacting Adobe for this issue.

Uhhhh - Well good luck with that  :o

Thanks anyways!

Offline calfoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
FYI - Solution found - Just In Case This Problem Occurs for Anyone Else...

Uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat XI Pro seemed to do the trick. Somewhere along the way while upgrading to a new iMac and transferring all the files/programs to it something must have become damaged in the print to Adobe PDF workflow.

Re-installation seems to have put everything back together again.