Author Topic: Embedding IPTC into CR2 files for web  (Read 9439 times)

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Embedding IPTC into CR2 files for web
« on: January 07, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
I'm in need of help with getting fully captioned CR2 files onto Photoshelter. I'm currently using Photo Mechanic 5, build 15800, with Mac 10.9.5

My typical workflow is copying the desired images out of Photo Mechanic to a folder on the desktop and up loading from there. The problem is I always get the sidecar file that saves the IPTC info, and it won't upload to the web. That leaves me with just images on the web with no info. I've tried using the direct upload from Photo Mechanic to Photoshelter and am running into the same issue.

I've gone into system preference and checked on the embed metadata, with no luck. Have tried the always adding sidecar file checked on and off, still nothing.

Can someone tell me how to fulling embedding the IPTC info into the CR2 file so I can uploaded it to the web? I'm used to running an older version of Photo Mechanic, 4.6.8 i believe, and never had this issue.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Embedding IPTC into CR2 files for web
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
Hi Jeff!
CR2 files are RAW files and they are not touched by PM. All Data / adjustments is saved in the xmp sidecar files.
Why are you not using the integrated upload function to Photoshelter?
I don't know for sure but I guess the the captions etc are transmitted to Photoshelter.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
Hi Jeff!
CR2 files are RAW files and they are not touched by PM. All Data / adjustments is saved in the xmp sidecar files.
Why are you not using the integrated upload function to Photoshelter?
I don't know for sure but I guess the the captions etc are transmitted to Photoshelter.

Hi Sven, just to be complete: PM can be set up to embed IPTC and XMP in raw files as well. Just have a look at the IPTC/XMP preferences.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
@Jeff: Please see the note from Hayo!
@Hayo: Thanks, I didn't really know this... and, btw: Happy new year :)
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
So I have gone through the preference and checked on the embed IPTC and XMP, but still not luck. When I go to copy the files I still get the sidecar XMP files, and when I try and direct upload to Photoshelter it won't upload the XMP file.

In the previous version I used (4.6.8) I could just copy the CR2 file and the IPTC info copied over embedded into the file with no problem. Is there something else I might be missing?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39:40 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP preferences?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
Here is the preference setup I have going.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »
Here is the preference setup I have going.

I would at least change the read order to read embedded XMP before sidecar XMP.

If your images already have XMP sidecar files, PM will continue to update them.  But with your settings set to embed XMP, your CR2 files should also contain embedded XMP.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
I made the change you said Kirk, but still no luck. Without the sidecar xmp my files contain no data.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:03 PM »
Jeff,

I made the change you said Kirk, but still no luck. Without the sidecar xmp my files contain no data.

What are you using to determine if your CR2 files contain metadata?

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »
Take a look at the illustration I uploaded and see if that helps show what I am trying to figure out. The top photo was a CR2 file I just uploaded today and doesn't have any of the caption work I've done on it, because it is all in the xmp sidecar file. The bottom photo was one I uploaded a few weeks ago and have all the caption info embedded into the CR2 file.

Hope that helps out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
Jeff,

Let's do some experimenting.  First, shoot a new image and ingest it into a new folder.  Then caption it.  An XMP sidecar file should not be created, and your CR2 image should now have IPTC and XMP embedded.  Verify this by looking at the new folder and seeing if the image has changed size (file size).  Open the IPTC Info dialog on the CR2 image and you should see your data.

Upload it to Photoshelter.  It should still have its metadata unless something in the upload process is stripping it.  If you're using PM's Photoshelter uploader, make sure that you're not applying an IPTC Stationery Pad in the uploader.  It could be clearing out your fields.

Let me know what you find.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
So i ingested a few photos and went through the whole process and it worked fine.

That leaves me with the problem off having a ton of captioned photos with sidecar xmp files that I am trying to upload, and without the xmp file I get no caption info when they are uploaded to the web. Any thoughts on how to fix it so that the existing xmp file embeds into the CR2 file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »
Jeff,

So i ingested a few photos and went through the whole process and it worked fine.

That leaves me with the problem off having a ton of captioned photos with sidecar xmp files that I am trying to upload, and without the xmp file I get no caption info when they are uploaded to the web. Any thoughts on how to fix it so that the existing xmp file embeds into the CR2 file?

Sure.  Just apply the IPTC Stationery Pad in bulk to your images.  You can clear an already empty field which will essentially do nothing, but it will cause the metadata to become embedded into your CR2 files.  You could then delete all of the XMP sidecar files if you want.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Bennett

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
Kirk, you are amazing. That did the trick. Thank you so much.