Author Topic: "Save photos as" in Photo Mechanic doesn't apply edits done in ACR  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
I edit a few shots from Photo Mechanic to ACR, but
1) the preview thumbs back in the PM contact sheet doesn't show the edits ( not a big deal but I wish it did)

and most import and and what I really need help with is:
2) When I "Save as " the photos from PM to jpg the edits I did to the files in ACR did do not appear on exported JPGs from PM.

It seems like PM doesn't read the updated XMP files since when I open the edited files back in ACR the edits are still there...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:38:10 AM by Pompo »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: "Save photos as" in Photo Mechanic doesn't apply edits done in ACR
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
1) the preview thumbs back in the PM contact sheet doesn't show the edits ( not a big deal but I wish it did)

2) When I "Save as " the photos from PM to jpg the edits I did to the files in ACR did do not appear on exported JPGs from PM.

It seems like PM doesn't read the updated XMP files since when I open the edited files back in ACR the edits are still there...

PM is not lightroom and hence does not (and can not) interpret the edits made by lightroom. And as lightroom does not update the preview that is present in the raw file, PM Does not see the results. The only way around this is to either export in lightroom to e.g. JPEG, or to switch to DNG. Lightroom is able to update the preview in dng files (you still have to manually tell Lightroom to do so in this case though) so PM is capable of viewing them.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »

PM most definitely does read the XMP, but it does not contain Adobe's proprietary RAW rendering engine.  They won't share it with us or anyone else.  If you want to see your adjustments in PM, you either need to use DNG or produce JPEGs from your adjusted RAW files.  Give them the same name as the RAW file and store it in the same location as the RAW file and PM will pair the two files together and show you the JPEG version.  PM can then Save as from the JPEG and you'll continue to see your adjustments.

DNG is good because you don't have to remember to save as a JPEG after each adjustment.

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
Ok thanks for the reply..clear enough.