Author Topic: Customize IPTC fields  (Read 14401 times)

Offline v_sh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Customize IPTC fields
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:15:25 PM »

Is it possible to customize IPTC Stationery Pad?

i.e. : For my purposes, I wish to create more fields and rename fields that already exists?

Thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Customize IPTC fields
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »
Is it possible to customize IPTC Stationery Pad?

i.e. : For my purposes, I wish to create more fields and rename fields that already exists?

Sorry, it is not customizable.  Can you give me an example of what fields you want to rename, and what you would rename them to?

And for the new fields, what IPTC record fields would you map them to?

-Kirk

Offline SPEphoto1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
Sorry to jump in on this thread BUT, I have a similar question.  Instead of customizing PM stationary pad I want to use the Tag, Color Class (TCC), metadata.  I have read other threads that hint that this info is stored in the 221 IPTC field…?  If so, what is the format of this field? Text? Number? Date?
I use the TCC to organize my current work flow, but use Extensis Portfolio 8 for my archiving.  You can map metadata not typically used (IPTC 221) with EP but I cannot seem to figure out why EP is not pulling that metadata field out.  I can see the data in CS2, and it typical looks like this.
0:0:0:-00001 = no color no tag
0:1:8:-00001 = color and tag
All images are Jpegs. Using current version of PM.
Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »
Sorry to jump in on this thread BUT, I have a similar question.  Instead of customizing PM stationary pad I want to use the Tag, Color Class (TCC), metadata.  I have read other threads that hint that this info is stored in the 221 IPTC field…?  If so, what is the format of this field? Text? Number? Date?
I use the TCC to organize my current work flow, but use Extensis Portfolio 8 for my archiving.  You can map metadata not typically used (IPTC 221) with EP but I cannot seem to figure out why EP is not pulling that metadata field out.  I can see the data in CS2, and it typical looks like this.
0:0:0:-00001 = no color no tag
0:1:8:-00001 = color and tag
All images are Jpegs. Using current version of PM.
Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

The format of the 221 (0x02DD) field is:

T:CC:R:F

Where T is 0 or 1 and represents the Tag checkbox
Where CC is 0, 1-8 and represents the Color Class
Where R is 0, 1-5 and represents the 5 star rating
Where F is -00001 for no frame number found or 000000-999999 for the frame number of the photo

That's it.

Let me know if you need any more information.

-Kirk

Offline v_sh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »

Kirk,

Thanks for your quick response.

Actually we use FotoStation Pro version 5.1 and we would like to change to Photo Mechanic.
FS has a feature to customise add, remove, rename or hide fields.
We would like to do the same thing, adding new fields according the picture below:

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
Actually we use FotoStation Pro version 5.1 and we would like to change to Photo Mechanic.
FS has a feature to customise add, remove, rename or hide fields.
We would like to do the same thing, adding new fields according the picture below:

That kind of customization is something I want to add and will do so at some point.  I can't give you a timeframe however.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline SPEphoto1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:34:33 AM »
v_sh, please excuse my interruption again.

Kirk, I spoke to Extensis yesterday they are trying to extract the data (tag, and color code) that PM creates in the IPTC.  The folks at Extensis said that some of the data (tag) is stored in field 222.  Does this sound right?
Extensis ran into some problems pulling said info, probably an Extensis problem but, would you have any ideas on your end?  Thanx!

Offline SPEphoto1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:51:28 AM »
Update, Extensis came back and said it was not possible to extract data from fields 221, 222 because it was not formated correctly. "the data PM is creating is not a standard IPTC protocol" I guess I will be waiting for version updates.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »
Update, Extensis came back and said it was not possible to extract data from fields 221, 222 because it was not formated correctly. "the data PM is creating is not a standard IPTC protocol" I guess I will be waiting for version updates.

Well I'm not sure how we would format our proprietary data any different.  We're using a fairly unused field for our own purposes.  If they are interpreting that field as it is normally used, then I suppose they could say that we're not using a standard "IPTC protocol."

As for field 222, we don't put data in field 222, but if it exists there, we would preserve it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
Will there be any way to create customized IPTC fields in the new 4.5 release?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »
Will there be any way to create customized IPTC fields in the new 4.5 release?

Not in 4.5.0, no.

-Kirk

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:17:43 AM »
What would be the time frame for a possible incusion? 4.5.1?

As we move to a new system for our archive we will have to find a solution to editing a custom IPTC field. As PM is by are the most user friendly and efficient work-flow tool we have we don't want to use anything else.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »
What would be the time frame for a possible incusion? 4.5.1?

As we move to a new system for our archive we will have to find a solution to editing a custom IPTC field. As PM is by are the most user friendly and efficient work-flow tool we have we don't want to use anything else.

Can you explain how you expect your custom data to be preserved?  Is this IPTC or XMP?

-Kirk

Offline bellie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 05:37:09 AM »
Just to add my voice to this thread I too would welcome this feature, using customized iptc fields we can add strings and codes for our server to react to images sent in via ftp, at the moment we are forced to use fotostation which has this feature.

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
    • Propaganda
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 12:35:45 AM »

Can you explain how you expect your custom data to be preserved?  Is this IPTC or XMP?

-Kirk

Not technically minded, but I would think an embedded IPTC? Not sure how the captions work in the files, but I'm sure having a seperate XMP file wouldn't work for what I need.