Author Topic: QuickTime Required to Handle Videos?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
QuickTime Required to Handle Videos?
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
I recently discovered VLC Media Player (VideoLAN) was a better software package to play video files using the PM "Edit photo" command. I assumed that I could use it anywhere QuickTime could be used and then some, so I removed QuickTime from the computer. Once removed, the sidecar xml files created to annotate the videos became disassociated from the videos (.MOV files) and I could see both file types in the contact sheet. I also could no longer add metadata to the video. I reinstalled the QuickTime essentials only and everything returned to the way it was originally. Is QuickTime required for PM to work with videos or am I not setting up the VLC Media Player correctly?

Dave Roth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: QuickTime Required to Handle Videos?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
David,

I recently discovered VLC Media Player (VideoLAN) was a better software package to play video files using the PM "Edit photo" command. I assumed that I could use it anywhere QuickTime could be used and then some, so I removed QuickTime from the computer. Once removed, the sidecar xml files created to annotate the videos became disassociated from the videos (.MOV files) and I could see both file types in the contact sheet. I also could no longer add metadata to the video. I reinstalled the QuickTime essentials only and everything returned to the way it was originally. Is QuickTime required for PM to work with videos or am I not setting up the VLC Media Player correctly?

Yes, PM uses QuickTime for video handling on both Mac OS X and Windows.

-Kirk