Author Topic: Need a data import feature  (Read 8014 times)

Offline dean_stevens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Need a data import feature
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »
Hello,

This might have been covered before (I looked but coluldn't find a thread that matched my request).

It would be a huge time saver in there was a way to import data from something like an Excel file into a batch of images. Here's an example of what I mean:

We send our images out for keywording, and get an Excel file back with all of the keywords. The first entry in each cell is the image number. It would be a great timesaver if i could simply tell PM where the file is, then have it ingest the keyword sets to the matching image numbers.

Thanks for your attention

Dean Stevens
Mountain Light Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Need a data import feature
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »
Dean,

This might have been covered before (I looked but coluldn't find a thread that matched my request).

It would be a huge time saver in there was a way to import data from something like an Excel file into a batch of images. Here's an example of what I mean:

We send our images out for keywording, and get an Excel file back with all of the keywords. The first entry in each cell is the image number. It would be a great timesaver if i could simply tell PM where the file is, then have it ingest the keyword sets to the matching image numbers.

Why not just keyword the images themselves?  IPTC and XMP are where the keywords should go.  Why not have the people send you back your images with the keywords embedded right inside them?

-Kirk

Offline dean_stevens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:42:46 AM »
Kirk,

The keywording people use proprietary sofrware to generate the keywords, and they are looking at LoRes imaghes to do their work--we would still have to copy and paste the keywords into our master files. In addition, while I am sure they would be happy to add a step in their process to cut and paste the keywords into the image's metadata, it would be at an added cost.

Offline dean_stevens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »
Kirk,

A third problem with your "let the keywording people do it" suggestion is that we also would use the function to replace the keywords in a set of images going to an agency that wants a shorter or longer list than we normally imbed in our master files.

Dean

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
Dean,

A third problem with your "let the keywording people do it" suggestion is that we also would use the function to replace the keywords in a set of images going to an agency that wants a shorter or longer list than we normally imbed in our master files.

OK.  Well, I'll call it a feature request but I cannot guarantee if and when it will be implemented.

At any rate, I'd need a sample keyword file from you.

-Kirk

Offline dean_stevens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I sent a sample file to your e-mail. Let me know if you need any other info.

Dean

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:38:36 PM »
If you are only talking specifically about the keyword field.  There is an easy solution.   Not as elegant as having a program do it for you, but it will be pretty darn fast compared to the copy&paste method.  You could easily use code replacement to speed the process up.

Assuming your excel file structure is filename and then keywords do the following:

Insert a new column called "code".  The autonumber the row.

Hide the filename column and export the file to a standard text file.   

In row then make sure the number column and keywords are separated by a tab.  Save the file.

Open PM and select the file as your Code Replacement File.

Then open the folder of images and simple type in number code for that filename and the keyword field will be populated.  So the for filename DSC100, type \1\ since that number corresponds to the number in your list.  Do that for each file.  Beats the heck out of cut and pasting info.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
If you are only talking specifically about the keyword field.  There is an easy solution.   Not as elegant as having a program do it for you, but it will be pretty darn fast compared to the copy&paste method.  You could easily use code replacement to speed the process up.

Assuming your excel file structure is filename and then keywords do the following:

Insert a new column called "code".  The autonumber the row.

Hide the filename column and export the file to a standard text file.   

In row then make sure the number column and keywords are separated by a tab.  Save the file.

Open PM and select the file as your Code Replacement File.

Then open the folder of images and simple type in number code for that filename and the keyword field will be populated.  So the for filename DSC100, type \1\ since that number corresponds to the number in your list.  Do that for each file.  Beats the heck out of cut and pasting info.

That's an interesting idea.  Here is what would work even easier.

The sample file is like this:

GAR101749.JPG [tab] A bunch of keywords [newline]

So it is already a code replacement file.  Open the Preferences dialog.  Click on the IPTC/XMP tab and then click on the Code Replacement... button and load the file.

Open the Contact Sheet containing all of the files.  Select all.
Then in the IPTC Stationery Pad, put the following into the Keywords field:

\{filename}\

And check the Apply checkbox to the left of the Keyword field.  Then click on the Apply Stationery to Selected button.

All of the images that had matching replacements (matching their filenames) will now have their corresponding keywords applied.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dean_stevens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »
Wolfie and Kirk,

Thank you both fir your solutions. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Dean Stevens
Mountain Light Photography

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 04:52:02 AM »
Thanks, Dean.

Actually, Kirk's solution is the best and will take 1/3 of the time that my possible solution offered.  His idea opened a whole new realm of possibilities . . . hmmmm.

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
Hi, when I follow Kirk's procedure, the filename is going into the Keyword field.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 06:07:56 AM »
Hi, when I follow Kirk's procedure, the filename is going into the Keyword field.

Did you load your Code Replacement text file?  What does it look like?  What is your Code Replacement delimiter character?  What does your IPTC Stationery Pad's Keyword field look like?

What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »
Hi, this is what I have: A test folder with 5 images. A text file with the 5 filenames and then keywords with a tab between them:

VOA31-001.tif   Shell Oil,sign,vintage,Americana,retro,advertisement,neon sign,logo,oil company,gas station,fuel supplier,oil,gas,gasoline,petroleum,Marine scenes,Oceans,Photographic still lifes,Seashells,Shells
VOA31-002.tif   signs,communications,text,Americana,crab,shells,trinkets,curio,kitsch,color photography,US,USA,United States
<3 more follow>
There is no header row. I saved it and loaded it into Edit > Settings > Code Replacement
The Code Delimiter character is \

I selected the 5 images and opened the IPTC Stationery Pad, in the Keyword field I enter these exact characters: \{filename}\
Apply is checked by the Keyword field, I hit "Apply Stationery to Selected".
I check the 1st image and in the Keyword field appears, \VOA31-001.tif\
I check the 2nd image and in the Keyword field appears, \VOA31-002.tif\  -- same pattern for the next 3.
So something is happening but not quite what I would like.

This is Photo Mechanic 4.6.2.1.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:13 AM »
Hi, this is what I have: A test folder with 5 images. A text file with the 5 filenames and then keywords with a tab between them:

VOA31-001.tif   Shell Oil,sign,vintage,Americana,retro,advertisement,neon sign,logo,oil company,gas station,fuel supplier,oil,gas,gasoline,petroleum,Marine scenes,Oceans,Photographic still lifes,Seashells,Shells
VOA31-002.tif   signs,communications,text,Americana,crab,shells,trinkets,curio,kitsch,color photography,US,USA,United States
<3 more follow>
There is no header row. I saved it and loaded it into Edit > Settings > Code Replacement
The Code Delimiter character is \

I selected the 5 images and opened the IPTC Stationery Pad, in the Keyword field I enter these exact characters: \{filename}\
Apply is checked by the Keyword field, I hit "Apply Stationery to Selected".
I check the 1st image and in the Keyword field appears, \VOA31-001.tif\
I check the 2nd image and in the Keyword field appears, \VOA31-002.tif\  -- same pattern for the next 3.
So something is happening but not quite what I would like.

This is Photo Mechanic 4.6.2.1.

What happens if you just type:

\VOA31-001.tif\

into a field in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?

-Kirk

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:33:17 AM »
----------
What happens if you just type:

\VOA31-001.tif\

into a field in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?

-Kirk
----------

With the five images selected, if I put that into the Keyword or other field in the IPTC Stat. Pad dialog and apply to Selected, then \VOA31-001.tif\ is exactly what appears the Keyword field for all 5 images.