Author Topic: Need a data import feature  (Read 7884 times)

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Need a data import feature
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »
And if I put {filename} in the Keyword field in the IPTC Statioery Pad, the result is the filename with no additional characters i.e.: VOA31-001.tif
With each image's correct file name.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:14 AM »
----------
What happens if you just type:

\VOA31-001.tif\

into a field in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog?

-Kirk
----------

With the five images selected, if I put that into the Keyword or other field in the IPTC Stat. Pad dialog and apply to Selected, then \VOA31-001.tif\ is exactly what appears the Keyword field for all 5 images.

It sounds like Code Replacement isn't working at all then.  I say this because when you type that final '\' character, the text between the '\' characters should be replaced immediately.

Let's do something simple as a test.  Create a new text file.  Enter the following:

zzz[tab]replacement

and save the file.  Load that file into your Code Replacement dialog.  Open up the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Enter \zzz\

Does the word 'replacement' appear?

-Kirk

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
I didn't work previously when I was working on the file in MS Word 2004 so afterwards
I went to (Mac) TextEdit, which was saving the code replacement file in .rtf format.
I went back to Word and resaved the file as Plain Text: code-replacement-test.txt.
I went through the process and "replacement" now does appear in the Keyword field of all 5 images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
I didn't work previously when I was working on the file in MS Word 2004 so afterwards
I went to (Mac) TextEdit, which was saving the code replacement file in .rtf format.
I went back to Word and resaved the file as Plain Text: code-replacement-test.txt.
I went through the process and "replacement" now does appear in the Keyword field of all 5 images.

OK.  That's the issue.  The text files must be plain-text, UTF-8 encoded files.  Not Word documents, RTF, PDF or any other format.

-Kirk

Offline roberto007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
OMG  :D  The keywords are in there

Saving the text file in MS Word as Plain Text (not UnicodeText (UTF-16) or RTF or anything else) is the solution.
The 'wrong format' file was not being read by the program as we surmised.
Next step is to embed Caption and Headline fields as well, hopefully all at the same time.

Believe me, I have been looking for way to do this for nearly a decade.
PM has been a fantastic solution for batch embedding of metadata and now at last I have a way to get image specific fields embedded.
This is going to save me countless hours of copy & paste, and save my client countless dollars.
You and Camera Bits are awesome. Thank you for all the help, Kirk!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:06:36 AM by roberto007 »