Author Topic: Carrying Meta Data Through From Photo Mechanic to Sidearm  (Read 4559 times)

Offline 100awphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Carrying Meta Data Through From Photo Mechanic to Sidearm
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
After ingesting and code replacing in photo mechanic I upload to the Sidearmsports.com website. The problem been sidearm doesn't carry through any meta data that I can visibly see. My employer is asking me to ID the files with the players name, is there a trick to carry this through? I put the question to Sidearmsports support team and they said at one time it used to exist but they have since pulled it. So I am wondering if there is anyway of forcing it through short of changing the file name one at a time.

Thanks
Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Carrying Meta Data Through From Photo Mechanic to Sidearm
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »
Jeff,

After ingesting and code replacing in photo mechanic I upload to the Sidearmsports.com website. The problem been sidearm doesn't carry through any meta data that I can visibly see. My employer is asking me to ID the files with the players name, is there a trick to carry this through? I put the question to Sidearmsports support team and they said at one time it used to exist but they have since pulled it. So I am wondering if there is anyway of forcing it through short of changing the file name one at a time.

"they said at one time it used to exist but they have since pulled it."

What used to exist?

Their system doesn't understand IPTC or XMP?  What would they be able to get out of a file name?  Is that the only 'metadata' that they can read?

-Kirk

Offline 100awphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
Here is my original email to SideARm and there response, I hope this helps

Jeff,

We did add this to the cord to read that a while ago for for a few schools, but the various ways that the meta data gets encoded into files varies greatly and we subsequently pulled that functionality out of the code base.

We might try to revisit putting it back, but that’s not on the current roadmap.

Josh

www.SIDEARMSports.com

On Sun, 25 Jan at 9:59 pm , Jeff Miller <jmiller-photography@shaw.ca> wrote:
I use photo mechanic 5 to do my code replacements, I am wondering if any information carries through from photo mechanic to sidearm namely the "Title" field. If I could put the players name in one of the appropriate fields in the stationary pad that would carry through that would be a huge time saver and much easier to search for a players name. Thank you in advance Jeff

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »
Here is my original email to SideARm and there response, I hope this helps

We did add this to the cord to read that a while ago for for a few schools, but the various ways that the meta data gets encoded into files varies greatly and we subsequently pulled that functionality out of the code base.

We might try to revisit putting it back, but that’s not on the current roadmap.

That's an odd response to me.  IPTC and XMP are embedded into JPEG files (I'm assuming you're uploading JPEGs) in a very standard way.  If they can't figure out how to find and extract the metadata, they can easily use ExifTool on their server (it's free and written in Perl which should be a scripting language available on their server) and have it extract just the particular fields they want.

-Kirk