Author Topic: Reading DNG Files...M8 files  (Read 6029 times)

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reading DNG Files...M8 files
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
I am going to be using a Leica M8 and was given some DNG files, the raw out of the M8, to experiment with and found that PM did not see them...it showed the file in the folder as basically a blank...when I changed the color management to sRGB, the images showed up as pixilated...switching back to Adobe 1998, the pixilation remained, but no image...only when the image was converted in Photo Shop CS using DNG Converter and Camera Raw 2.4 did the images, now jpegs appear in the contact sheet screen...so, can PM read DNG files, and if so, how do I set the preferences or whatever to show them and further, if not, is there a plan to have PM show DNG files??? Thanks.
Rob Klein

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reading DNG Files...M8 files
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:53:14 PM »
Rob,
I am going to be using a Leica M8 and was given some DNG files, the raw out of the M8, to experiment with and found that PM did not see them...it showed the file in the folder as basically a blank...when I changed the color management to sRGB, the images showed up as pixilated...switching back to Adobe 1998, the pixilation remained, but no image...only when the image was converted in Photo Shop CS using DNG Converter and Camera Raw 2.4 did the images, now jpegs appear in the contact sheet screen...so, can PM read DNG files, and if so, how do I set the preferences or whatever to show them and further, if not, is there a plan to have PM show DNG files???

Photo Mechanic handles DNG files that have previews in them.  It does not render DNG files.  Leica DNG files have no previews in them.  So they don't work well in Photo Mechanic.

At some point we'll render DNG files.  I do not have a date for you however.

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Rob,

One thing you might try is passing the DNG files through Adobe's free DNG Converter. It will embed a JPG preview in your DNG files, which will then be displayed in Photo Mechanic.

It may or may not be a workable step for you, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:45:27 PM »
Rob,

I am going to be using a Leica M8 and was given some DNG files, the raw out of the M8, to experiment with and found that PM did not see them...it showed the file in the folder as basically a blank...when I changed the color management to sRGB, the images showed up as pixilated...switching back to Adobe 1998, the pixilation remained, but no image...only when the image was converted in Photo Shop CS using DNG Converter and Camera Raw 2.4 did the images, now jpegs appear in the contact sheet screen...so, can PM read DNG files, and if so, how do I set the preferences or whatever to show them and further, if not, is there a plan to have PM show DNG files??? Thanks.

We looked into some sample Leica M8 DNG files and found that they do have at least a small thumbnail image in them that was stored in an unconventional way.  We have added some code to version 4.5 that will show the thumbnails in the M8 DNG files.  Rendering them will come later.

Just FYI,

-Kirk

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:17:26 AM »
Any chance that 4.5 or the beta version will be ready by Feb. 18? I leave for Antarctica then and would like to be able to use PM with the Leica, if possible, as I am testing it for them...the files are already DNG, but I will try running them through the converter and see what that does as well...thank you for your attention to this...just another reason why PM is so popular and the tech support is second to none!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »
Any chance that 4.5 or the beta version will be ready by Feb. 18? I leave for Antarctica then and would like to be able to use PM with the Leica, if possible, as I am testing it for them...the files are already DNG, but I will try running them through the converter and see what that does as well...thank you for your attention to this...just another reason why PM is so popular and the tech support is second to none!!

We plan to have PM 4.5 out by the middle of February.

-Kirk