Author Topic: ingest only tagged  (Read 4099 times)

Offline pablo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ingest only tagged
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:26:18 am »
Would be nice to make the ingest only the tagged pictures. I so far have to delete untangged so I can easily make a mistake.
Sorry for use google translator

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: ingest only tagged
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »
Hi Pablo!

Have a look in the Ingest-Dialog. The feature is already there: "Copy locked Photos only".

Sven

[attachment deleted by admin]
Started to run and no photography anymore but still a Canon 27,9 x 18,6 mm with a black and a white lens -  on Yosemite 10.10 (MBPro and MB Air)

Offline pablo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:29 am »
Thanks Sven. But from what I see is only possible for the pictures I've locked in the chamber, no? O also can be locked from the photo mechanic?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:30:10 pm »
Thanks Sven. But from what I see is only possible for the pictures I've locked in the chamber, no? O also can be locked from the photo mechanic?

You lock the pictures in your camera.  You should never edit on your card.

-Kirk

Offline pablo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »
Sorry, google traslate use. I meant that the selection of images is one block from the camera. O also can be done from the program photo mechanic?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
Sorry, google traslate use. I meant that the selection of images is one block from the camera. O also can be done from the program photo mechanic?

I'm not sure I'm completely understanding your needs.  Photo Mechanic does not have the ability to 'lock' images.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:35 am »
... I meant that the selection of images is one block from the camera.

Sounds like a sequence of images where the 1st and the last image is locked and all in between have to be ingested.
Started to run and no photography anymore but still a Canon 27,9 x 18,6 mm with a black and a white lens -  on Yosemite 10.10 (MBPro and MB Air)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
    • DESGphoto / elementalSPORTS
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:42:09 am »

I'm not sure I'm completely understanding your needs.  Photo Mechanic does not have the ability to 'lock' images.

-Kirk

Kirk, I'm guessing what he is meaning is, that it would be very useful to have the ability to open the CF-Card in PM as a contact sheet, then to tag the images on the CF-Card (the opened sheet) and finally to ingest only the tagged photos. Such a feature would be really nice to have (especially when you have a huge amount of photos taken, e.g. during a sports event, and you haven't  had the time to tag or write protect them during shooting).

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:39 am »
Lars,

Kirk, I'm guessing what he is meaning is, that it would be very useful to have the ability to open the CF-Card in PM as a contact sheet, then to tag the images on the CF-Card (the opened sheet) and finally to ingest only the tagged photos. Such a feature would be really nice to have (especially when you have a huge amount of photos taken, e.g. during a sports event, and you haven't  had the time to tag or write protect them during shooting).

That would require modifying the contents of the card which we're strongly against.  Ingest from Selection would be a better choice than to modify Ingest to honor the 'tag' status which differs from the 'locked' status of a file.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:12 am »
I absolutely agree with you that modifying data on the card is not a real good idea. However, maybe there could be a way to "store" the tag-status on a "system-helpfile" or whatever. In fact it would be great to handle a CF-Card like a normal directory to preview and to mark (not to use the words "tag" or "lock"  ;) ) the photos to ingest in the next step.

From a current example: I filled a 32GB card but finally I only used 10 photos. But today I had to ingest the entire 32GB before. This is really time consuming...

regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:40:00 am »
Lars,

I absolutely agree with you that modifying data on the card is not a real good idea. However, maybe there could be a way to "store" the tag-status on a "system-helpfile" or whatever. In fact it would be great to handle a CF-Card like a normal directory to preview and to mark (not to use the words "tag" or "lock"  ;) ) the photos to ingest in the next step.

From a current example: I filled a 32GB card but finally I only used 10 photos. But today I had to ingest the entire 32GB before. This is really time consuming...

Why modify them at all when all they would need is to be selected and then Ingested from that selection?

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:55:34 am »
I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure if I understood you right. What do you mean with "modify them all"? How the selection process can be done (without modifying the files on the card)? The only way I know to select it to tag, to star rate or to color an image. So how can it be done to ingest from a selection?

Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 12:16:11 pm »
Lars,

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure if I understood you right. What do you mean with "modify them all"? How the selection process can be done (without modifying the files on the card)? The only way I know to select it to tag, to star rate or to color an image. So how can it be done to ingest from a selection?

It is a feature that has not yet been implemented, but has been requested before.  There will be a new menu item "Ingest from Selection" which will use the familiar Ingest dialog, but there will be a third source choice "Selected Items" which will use the front most Contact Sheet tab's selected items as the list of items to be ingested.

If we're going to make a solution to this problem, it will be one that does not require writing to the card or having some sort of 'shadow file' keeping the edits.

-Kirk

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 01:07:27 pm »
That sounds so great and useful. Locking forward to see this feature. As soon as possbible please :D

Thanks Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »
It is slated for implementation in the next major release of Photo Mechanic.  In the meantime, the Copy Photos dialog does virtually everything that Ingest does except for having a secondary destination.

-Kirk