Author Topic: Bug? Rename Ingested Photos as: "{day0}." not possible. "{day0}-" is poss  (Read 12806 times)

Offline Walking Camera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello Camera Bits Support -

In the Ingest module, there is a frustrating problem, which I believe has crept into the program over the last couple of years.

Rename Ingested Photos as:   .... "{day0}." not possible with a 'period' character directly following the 'curly brace' character is no longer possible.

A few updates ago,  "{day0}-"  i.e. when I typed curley brace followed by a period, the program shows a hyphen, which is what the file shows.

I'm using Macintosh OS X, Mavericks (although was same for last version of OS/X as well).   Current version of Photo Mechanic. 

Love Photo Mechanic, use it almost daily (of course),  Michael

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Bug? Rename Ingested Photos as: "{day0}." not possible. "{day0}-" is poss
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »
Hi, Michael
I think it is not possible to use dots in the name of a file. I myself use a combination of dashes and underscores.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »
It really looks like a bug. I am able to rename already ingested images by using "{day0}-{seqn}".
If I want to use the same in the ingest-dialog the dot is automatically changed to a "-" symbol.
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:11:37 AM »
Hi,
Yeah, I thought of that.
Anyway I prefer to use such a string:
Paris-{year4}_{month0}_{day0}_{timesort}
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
Michael,

I have good reasons for the approach I take and am seeking support for fixing what is clearly a problem.   I would be grateful for a response from Camera Bits if that is possible.

What is an example of what you would want your final filename to be including the filename extension (for instance on a JPEG)?

From what I can tell you want your filename for a JPEG to be something like 00..jpg through 31..jpg, is that correct?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:41:19 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Walking Camera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Kirk,

Thank you for re-posting!

I shoot both RAW and JPG with Canon.  Example final file names would be:

2015-02-25.Cam02._F9N3531.CR2

and

2015-02-25.Cam02._F9N3531.JPG

A couple of years ago, Photo Mechanic did supported this on my Mac (2 operating system versions ago, at least).  The last 8 chars are the camera assigned file name.  Canon does not use the "dot", at least on my equipment, but does use "underscore" so, over many years, this scheme has worked well for me.  And of course ties into a larger workflow, and other media types at this point.

Michael
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:54:06 PM by Walking Camera »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
Michael,

I shoot both RAW and JPG with Canon.  Example final file names would be:

2015-02-25.Cam02._F9N3531.CR2

What would your renaming string look like if Photo Mechanic didn't interfere with it?

-Kirk

Offline Drugstore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »
In this case I'd say it's not a bug, it's a feature. Seriously, in UNIX - and OS X is at least based on BSD Unix with Mach Kernel) the dot in a filename has two special meanings. 1) at the beginning of a filename it makes the file invisible to hide and separate it from "normal" files. 2) it separates the filename from the filetype.

So I would avoid using dots in filenames. Just my 2ct.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:58:02 AM »
In this case I'd say it's not a bug, it's a feature. Seriously, in UNIX - and OS X is at least based on BSD Unix with Mach Kernel) the dot in a filename has two special meanings. 1) at the beginning of a filename it makes the file invisible to hide and separate it from "normal" files. 2) it separates the filename from the filetype.

So I would avoid using dots in filenames. Just my 2ct.

I would also avoid that.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Walking Camera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello Kirk,

Could you expand your question, not sure I understand it.

The "2015-02-25.Cam02." part is a prefix for the camera assigned name.  {Year as 4 digits}-{month as 2 digits}-{day as 2 digits}.then.equipment code. (in this example it appears somewhat redundant, but usually not).

The "_F9N3531.JPG" part is the camera assigned name.

Make sense?

-Michael

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
The "2015-02-25.Cam02." part is a prefix for the camera assigned name.  {Year as 4 digits}-{month as 2 digits}-{day as 2 digits}.then.equipment code. (in this example it appears somewhat redundant, but usually not).

So you'd like to be able to enter a rename string like this: {year4}.{month0}.{day0} with the dots NOT turning into -

This actually has been a long standing issue for me too; the auto replacement of certain characters currently also makes it impossible to use the standard code replacement delimiter \ (I changed it to a ` to circumvent this).

@Kirk, the solution would be for PM to allow any character in the renaming string input boxes.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Michael,

Could you expand your question, not sure I understand it.

The "_F9N3531.JPG" part is the camera assigned name.

I am trying to find out what you're entering as your renaming string, your desired result and the result that you get that does not meet your expectations.

Hayo appears to have figured out what it is that you're after.  Can you please confirm or clarify?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Walking Camera

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello Kirk & Hayo,

At the conceptual level, Hayo has captured the issue perfectly.   

Another pass at my implementation:
* I import from CF Card using PM. 
* During import, I ask PM Ingest process to prepend the camera file name (Canon often starts with underscore, such as:  _F9N3531.JPG  with the date of image capture, and a code relating to equipment used.
* I use both the primary and secondary paths, so I have two identical folders on two separate discs.
* The ideal result is a file name that looks like:   "2015-02-25.Cam02._F9N3531.JPG"

I use an ISO date format for date, which is YYYY-MM-DD, so I actually separate tokens within the date with hyphens.   I *then* follow the date info with a dot -- which at the moment Photo Mechanic automatically transforms into a hyphen to look like:
"2015-02-25.Cam02-_F9N3531.JPG"

Hope this pass is clearer.  Very grateful for your attention on this.

Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Michael,

I use an ISO date format for date, which is YYYY-MM-DD, so I actually separate tokens within the date with hyphens.   I *then* follow the date info with a dot -- which at the moment Photo Mechanic automatically transforms into a hyphen to look like:
"2015-02-25.Cam02-_F9N3531.JPG"

Shouldn't it come out as: "2015-02-25-Cam02-_F9N3531.JPG" ?  Or is the problem inconsistent?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
@Kirk,
Nah, the problem is consistent; the (first) dot in the rename string always gets replaced by a hyphen. I guess Michael just made a (here quite inconvenient) typo.

@Michael,
I found a (at least temporary) work-around to get PM to rename your files as you like. If you use the rename function (CMD/CTRL+M) you can actually type in the dot just fine. So if after ingesting you apply the renaming function to the ingested files (with the renaming string you'd actually want i.e., with the dots), you get your files correctly named after all :)

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl