Author Topic: Lightroom Metadata sync-which option please?  (Read 11654 times)

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom Metadata sync-which option please?
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
I've tried searching the forum, but couldn't see anything.

Having finally started the mammoth task of keywording my entire library, I realise that I need to know which option to choose from those shown in the attached image for latest version of Lightroom 5. I want to preserve my existing image adjustments as well as incorporate all the metadata I've just written using Photo Mechanic.

I've worked out how to do this successfully and synch new metadata when working in Capture One Pro V8, but recall when I tried in the past with LR, I chose an option that updated the metadata, but effectively wiped all my previous image adjustments. I don't want to do this again for several thousand photos!

So my questions are
1. Which of these options do I choose?
2. Do I need to change anything in LR preferences? If so, then what?

Many thanks

Baxter

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Lightroom Metadata sync-which option please?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
Hi Baxter,

Looks like you have edited your photos both with LR and another application (PM?) without synchronising the metadata in between. This means you will loose either of the two edits depending on the resolution you choose. The options available are simple:
  • Import settings from disk: chooses the metadata from the files, meaning you will loose any LR edits you did after you last synchronised the metadata, probably not the one you want to choose…
  • Overwrite settings: chooses the LR version of the metadata, meaning you will loose any modifications made with the other application after you last synchronised the metadata, this is probably the best option available to you as at least your LR edits will persist.

Best of course is to prevent this situation. This involves two steps:
  • Make sure your edits in LR are written to the file. The easiest way to do this is by always having LR update the metadata in the (xmp) files, instead of having it keep them only in its database. You achieve this by going to your Lightroom catalog preferences and then make sure both options "Include Develop Settings In Metadata Inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, And PSD Files" and "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" are enabled. Another option would be to save your metadata updates manually each time (not recommended as you can easily forget to do this).
  • Do not edit any files in LR before making sure you have synchronised any metadata edits in another program. Sadly, you can not tell LR to do this automatically. LR will warn you if you have made metadata changes outside LR though. It does this with an icon on the top right of the thumbnail. Just click that icon and it will ask you for the resolution of the inconsistency. If you've made lots of edits outside LR, a quicker solution would be to select e.g., a folder within the library, right click it, and then choose "synchronize folder".

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask more questions.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
Thanks for your rapid and informative reply Hayo.

I do use different software. Mostly use Capture One and that seems to have synched it all with the new PM metadata. I've not edited any pictures in PM. I also use LR for some tasks and when using Fuji film emulations on my X-T1. These are in the minority, certainly as far as having made amendments to metadata. I've done 8 months worth so far, out of 7 years or so!

I've been creating lots of snapshots, so can relatively easily reapply the metadata from PM once I've made the changes you've recommended to my LR set-up. 

I now need to open up LR, make the changes you've said to the library and see where that takes me.

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
I'm just trying to overwrite the LR metadata from disk version (PM inserted metadata) for the majority of my files, but am finding that LR will only permit me to change one file at a time. After clicking on Top right '!' icon. I can't select multiple files and change all at once.

Any way I can do this please? I've over 1000 pictures to change!

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:59 AM »
I think I've worked it out now. I had deleted some files from disk and hadn't noticed two types of exclamation mark top right. There are black ones where I've deleted files. If some of these thumbnails form part of the selection, then it won't change multiple files. If only thumbnails with white exclamation marks are selected, then it's no problem it changes them all.

Obviously not an aspect of LR with which I'm familiar and sorry to be clogging up the PM one!

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:03 AM »
Hi Baxter,

Looks like you have edited your photos both with LR and another application (PM?) without synchronising the metadata in between. This means you will loose either of the two edits depending on the resolution you choose. The options available are simple:
  • Import settings from disk: chooses the metadata from the files, meaning you will loose any LR edits you did after you last synchronised the metadata, probably not the one you want to choose…
  • Overwrite settings: chooses the LR version of the metadata, meaning you will loose any modifications made with the other application after you last synchronised the metadata, this is probably the best option available to you as at least your LR edits will persist.

Best of course is to prevent this situation. This involves two steps:
  • Make sure your edits in LR are written to the file. The easiest way to do this is by always having LR update the metadata in the (xmp) files, instead of having it keep them only in its database. You achieve this by going to your Lightroom catalog preferences and then make sure both options "Include Develop Settings In Metadata Inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, And PSD Files" and "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" are enabled. Another option would be to save your metadata updates manually each time (not recommended as you can easily forget to do this).
  • Do not edit any files in LR before making sure you have synchronised any metadata edits in another program. Sadly, you can not tell LR to do this automatically. LR will warn you if you have made metadata changes outside LR though. It does this with an icon on the top right of the thumbnail. Just click that icon and it will ask you for the resolution of the inconsistency. If you've made lots of edits outside LR, a quicker solution would be to select e.g., a folder within the library, right click it, and then choose "synchronize folder".

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask more questions.

Hi, Hayo
Thanks for the very helpful explanation. It is indeed a pity LR does not synchronize folders automaticaly...who knows, perhaps in a new version.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »

Hi, Hayo
Thanks for the very helpful explanation. It is indeed a pity LR does not synchronize folders automaticaly...who knows, perhaps in a new version.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Adobe does not want you to leave Adobe so don't hold your breath for Auto Sync.
Has anyone else noticed that if you import metadata to file from outside lightroom in the Develop Module you can lose all your Lightroom Corrections, this does not happen in the Library Module.
Anfd yes, I have the xmp auto sync turned on.
Marc
Marc

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
@mbbphoto - which version of LR are you running? I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  :'(

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:08 AM »
@mbbphoto - which version of LR are you running? I tried this and it didn't seem to work.  :'(
Latest Mac Versions for both.
I'm so paranoid about this that I often make a backup of all my xmps before updating....
Marc
Marc

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »

Hi, Hayo
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Adobe does not want you to leave Adobe so don't hold your breath for Auto Sync.
Has anyone else noticed that if you import metadata to file from outside lightroom in the Develop Module you can lose all your Lightroom Corrections, this does not happen in the Library Module.
Anfd yes, I have the xmp auto sync turned on.
Marc

Hi, Marc
I use Syncronize Folders to import metadata in LR...it has always worked fine (in Library).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi