Author Topic: Best performance settings for new computer?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Best performance settings for new computer?
« on: February 26, 2022, 08:08:40 AM »
I'm experiencing slow rendering of 45 megapixel Tiffs and am wondering if there is a document with recommended preference settings for different computers? My current settings worked well with an older computer and smaller size images, but I believe I can increase them with my current computer. I know I can increase Disk Cache size and Render Cache size, but just making trial and error changes to my old set up doesn't seem the ideal solution.

If not, recommendations would be welcome. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip, 32 GB of Ram and a 2 Terabyte hard drive with over 1/2 of it left empty.

For Caching: My Disk Cache Size is set to 1,536 mb. Reserve At Least set to 512 mb.
For Render Cache size is set to 8,192 mb.
I do not have Enable Raw Rendering enabled.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Best performance settings for new computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »
Ric,

I'm experiencing slow rendering of 45 megapixel Tiffs and am wondering if there is a document with recommended preference settings for different computers? My current settings worked well with an older computer and smaller size images, but I believe I can increase them with my current computer. I know I can increase Disk Cache size and Render Cache size, but just making trial and error changes to my old set up doesn't seem the ideal solution.

If not, recommendations would be welcome. I have a 16" MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip, 32 GB of Ram and a 2 Terabyte hard drive with over 1/2 of it left empty.

For Caching: My Disk Cache Size is set to 1,536 mb. Reserve At Least set to 512 mb.
For Render Cache size is set to 8,192 mb.
I do not have Enable Raw Rendering enabled.

Thanks for any help!

Those settings should be fine.  TIFFs are slow to load because they are large files.  Compare a JPEG of the same megapixel and you'll find that the JPEG is much smaller on disk than the TIFF.  The time to load/render a TIFF is longer than a JPEG of the same megapixel because of the longer time spent reading the file from disk.  This cannot be avoided without some sort of compression being applied to the TIFF.

-Kirk