Author Topic: Ingesting problem, (Canon 5D markIII) Locked inside camera  (Read 8147 times)

Offline SamoMalo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ingesting problem, (Canon 5D markIII) Locked inside camera
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
ExFat

Right, I haven't used ExFat at all so far so can not tell you if this is the problem or not, but it sounds likely. Is there a particular reason you formatted it as exfat and not as Mac native?

Yes, the compatibility with Windows & Mac. I use both systems.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:52 AM »
ExFat

Right, I haven't used ExFat at all so far so can not tell you if this is the problem or not, but it sounds likely. Is there a particular reason you formatted it as exfat and not as Mac native?

Be careful in your interaction with that drive when using your Mac.  The support for FAT and ExFAT on Mac OS X is somewhat unreliable in our experience.

-Kirk

Offline SamoMalo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »
ExFat

Be careful in your interaction with that drive when using your Mac.  The support for FAT and ExFAT on Mac OS X is somewhat unreliable in our experience.

-Kirk

About the exFAT problem is when you format your driver on Mac OSX with exFat - then the OsX write longer cluster size (allocation unit size).
That way I format on Windows and use it on OSX.

Tell me Kirk what could be my problem not writing it on external HDD?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
I think the problem is incompatibility with ExFAT on Mac OS X.  Is there no way you can put that drive on a network such that both your Mac and Windows systems can access it?

We rely on file systems working correctly.  If the OS is incompatible or just is inconsistent with a particular file system then PM will have problems.

I suggest finding a way to make the drive networked or format the drive in a Mac OS X native format like HFS+.

-Kirk