Author Topic: zoom preview in contact sheet  (Read 4640 times)

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
zoom preview in contact sheet
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
Hello,

when both a contact sheet and the preview window are open and the contact sheet is "active" (has focus/is selected), I can't zoom the preview window with the Z key. I first have to select the preview window, then the Z key works.

Is this as-designed? Is there a reason for that, or could that be changed in a future version?

Regards

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: zoom preview in contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
Only the window that has focus is normally capable of receiving keyboard events, so this behaviour is to be expected.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
Could you please move that over to "feature requests", then? ;-)

Regards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
Could you please move that over to "feature requests", then? ;-)

It's a feature of all OSes: only windows that have focus receive keyboard events.  I can't change how the OS behaves.

-Kirk

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 06:05:35 AM »
Wouldn't it be possible to receive and handle the Z key in the contact sheet, then pass an event to the preview window to toggle the zoom function? (Admittedly, something of an effort if such a "communications channel" doesn't exist already.)

Regards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
Wouldn't it be possible to receive and handle the Z key in the contact sheet, then pass an event to the preview window to toggle the zoom function? (Admittedly, something of an effort if such a "communications channel" doesn't exist already.)

Certainly that can be done, but where does this sort of thing stop?  There are over a dozen keys that the Preview responds to, some of which are shared with the Contact Sheet.

Z already toggles the cursor mode in the Contact Sheet.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to accommodate your request.

-Kirk

Offline VGER

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:54:58 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering why my mouse pointer kept changing mode on me. In contact sheet, I always use it in "pointer" mode. However, it keeps winding up in "zoom" mode without me consciously making that change.

Now I realized why this is the case: As you mentioned, the "Z" key in contact sheet does already perform exactly that function - put the mouse pointer in "zoom" mode. So each time I meant to zoom the preview window, but failed because it wasn't selected at the time, I accidently mess up the pointer mode on top. Which I usually don't notice right away either, so it generates another "miss" a few pictures later, when I return to the contact sheet and attempt to use the mouse in what I believed should still be "pointer" mode.

I see why this is hard to improve on the program's side. But still, maybe you could think of a way? Even the possibility to disable the "Z" button in contact sheet completly for those who don't use it (or even don't want to use accidentally) would help.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:57:52 AM by VGER »