Author Topic: Upper and lower case  (Read 2204 times)

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
Upper and lower case
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »
I have some questions related to the time and date formats used in Photo Mechanic.

- What is the best way to 1. translate the month names into another language, and 2. at the same time choose when I want to print the month name in uppercase or lowercase?

I know that I can convert variables to uppercase or lowercase with :lc, respectively :UC, but how do I make it also work after translation to a different languages, for example: from the English word "March" to the Swedish version "mars" (when it comes lowercase)? Or from English "MARCH" to Swedish "MARS" (when it comes to capital letters)?

Do I really have to use two different sets of code Replacements, one for upper case and another for lowercase?

- Is there any reason why Photo Mechanic not also uses the international language configuration settings in the local computer for time and date, etc? Or have I just overlooked something?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I would like the caption to be something like this (in Swedish, but I think you get the point - highlighted in bold):

STOCKHOLM, 3 MARS 2015 : John Doe räddar ett slagskott under ishockeymatchen på Hovet i Stockholm den 3 mars. (Foto: Sami Grahn)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:21:57 PM by Snaxalig »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Upper and lower case
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
I have some questions related to the time and date formats used in Photo Mechanic.

- What is the best way to:

1. translate the month names into another language?

Use Code Replacement.

2. at the same time choose when I want to print the month name in uppercase or lowercase?

Use :UC and :lc on your month variables and have upper and lower case codes for each month along with their appropriate translations

Is there any reason why Photo Mechanic not also uses the international language configuration settings in the local computer for time and date, etc? Or have I just overlooked something?

None of Photo Mechanic is aware of language differences.  It is a single language application at this time.

-Kirk

Offline fotograhn

• View Profile
Re: Upper and lower case
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:11:45 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Kirk.
That means that I am already doing it the right way, the PM way  8)