Author Topic: Move files to folders based on IPTC field content (i.e. caption)  (Read 2662 times)

Offline La Jobe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,
To improve my sorting process, i'd like to write down (number) into an IPTC field (in exemple the caption field filled with this unique information).
I know that is first step is easy, but i'd like next to automatically move the image files into folders of the same name as the captioned information.

Explanations :
Photo1.jpg -> manual caption number 338
Photo2.jpg -> manual caption number 127
Photo3.jpg -> manual caption number 127
Photo4.jpg -> manual caption number 67

Then on another step or action, I'd like the files Photo1.jpg moved to a folder "338", Photo2.jpg and Photo3.jpg moved to folder "127" and Photo4.jpg moved to folder "67"… Automatically
I can create all the destination folders first, but it would be easier to make it created as soon as needed.

Is there a feature on PhotoMechanic or an external Automator stuff (yes i'm on Mac) to achieve this ?

Thanks for your help.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move files to folders based on IPTC field content (i.e. caption)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Hi,
To improve my sorting process, i'd like to write down (number) into an IPTC field (in exemple the caption field filled with this unique information).
I know that is first step is easy, but i'd like next to automatically move the image files into folders of the same name as the captioned information.

Explanations :
Photo1.jpg -> manual caption number 338
Photo2.jpg -> manual caption number 127
Photo3.jpg -> manual caption number 127
Photo4.jpg -> manual caption number 67

Then on another step or action, I'd like the files Photo1.jpg moved to a folder "338", Photo2.jpg and Photo3.jpg moved to folder "127" and Photo4.jpg moved to folder "67"… Automatically
I can create all the destination folders first, but it would be easier to make it created as soon as needed.

Is there a feature on PhotoMechanic or an external Automator stuff (yes i'm on Mac) to achieve this ?

Thanks for your help.

Use the Copy/Move dialog, set it to Move files.  Have it create a subfolder and use the {variable} that corresponds to the field that you entered your numbers.  The files will be moved into folders using the numbers you entered and the folders will be created prior to the images being moved there.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline La Jobe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Move files to folders based on IPTC field content (i.e. caption)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:16 AM »
So simple I didn't even tried it !
PM has not finished to amaze me !

Thanks a lot Kirk :)