Author Topic: Removing GPS data  (Read 12083 times)

Offline cjgunther

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Removing GPS data
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
Is there a way to completely delete the data in the GPS fields? I have a camera that doesn't have a GPS unit attached and the data N˚00.000' and E˚00.000' is left in the fields. I don't want zeros, I want no data at all, like i get with my cameras that don't have gps capability. Is that possible?

cj

Offline cjgunther

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Removing GPS data
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
Thanks in advance for the help, but I have discovered the TOOLS menu Option 'Delete Metadata...' that solves my problem.

cj

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »
Thanks in advance for the help, but I have discovered the TOOLS menu Option 'Delete Metadata...' that solves my problem.

cj

Watch out, it will delete all the other metadata as well. Unfortunately there is no option to remove only the GPS coordinates.
,-((
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »
Hi,
I do think it would be a good option to be able to remove only the GPS info.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
Hi,
I do think it would be a good option to be able to remove only the GPS info.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

I couldn't agree you more. This is why I made a Feature Request for this about 2 years ago. You may support it in hope it will get implemented one day: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7445.msg35203#msg35203
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »
...This is why I made a Feature Request for this about 2 years ago. You may support it in hope it will get implemented one day

Hmm, privacy.   Perhaps sufficient to set the latitude and longuitude to an obviously bogus position like 0 0 or 90 0 and then apply to selected images?

--
Odd S.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
...This is why I made a Feature Request for this about 2 years ago. You may support it in hope it will get implemented one day

Hmm, privacy.   Perhaps sufficient to set the latitude and longuitude to an obviously bogus position like 0 0 or 90 0 and then apply to selected images?

There already is a remove metadata feature in PM. I think it simply should be included there as GPS location is a type of metadata one would wish to be able to remove.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »

There already is a remove metadata feature in PM. I think it simply should be included there as GPS location is a type of metadata one would wish to be able to remove.

Removing GPS metadata requires rewriting the tags which can change offsets in the file.  It isn't trivial.  It would be fairly straightforward to mask the data however.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
Removing GPS metadata requires rewriting the tags which can change offsets in the file.  It isn't trivial.  It would be fairly straightforward to mask the data however.

Masking wouldn't be enough; then people would still be able to use tools to get to the data. But how about zeroing it out?
(plus add a warning that PM isn't completely removing the GPS data, but if you'd like that, you'd have to use e.g., exiftool instead)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Hayo,

Masking wouldn't be enough; then people would still be able to use tools to get to the data. But how about zeroing it out?
(plus add a warning that PM isn't completely removing the GPS data, but if you'd like that, you'd have to use e.g., exiftool instead)

The method of masking the data that we would use would make it irrecoverable.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 05:48:31 AM »

Then I think that masking the data would be enough.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:16 AM »
I don't quite understand the difference between removing, overwriting or masking the GPS info, but I don't have to. If masking hides the location from others I think masking is just as good as remove or overwrite.
,-))

The point is I think PM should offer a way to hide the GPS location data in some cases (especially for save and uploads) as the photographer not necessarily wants to share it with everyone while he/she might want to keep it for themselves.

I would also add it to the remove metadata panel even if it is not practically a remove but a masking - unless it is recoverable somehow. (Maybe there could be an asterisk and some explanation or link to a help page explaining the difference if the difference in terms can be important for the user.)
Allways shooting RAW.