Author Topic: Possible bug? Colorclass change causes XMP sidecar data loss  (Read 2032 times)

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
Possible bug? Colorclass change causes XMP sidecar data loss
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
I may have found a bug that I was able to reproduce several times. Using PM I am editing a folder of only .NEF files and selected a group of pictures. Then opened them into photoshop raw and applied changes to that picture. I can reopen it with the same changes still visible. But if I change the color code of that picture(s) and then open it with photoshop into raw the changes are lost.

I have attached two files showing the system I use and the PM info of which version is being used.

Also separately some time ago the highlight, drag and drop in the caption window was disabled and would love to see that feature return

Thanks so much,

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:35:25 PM by mzachs »
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Possible bug? Colorclass change causes XMP sidecar data loss
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »
Mitchell,

I may have found a bug that I was able to reproduce several times. Using PM I am editing a folder of only .NEF files and selected a group of pictures. Then opened them into photoshop raw and applied changes to that picture. I can reopen it with the same changes still visible. But if I change the color code of that picture(s) and then open it with photoshop into raw the changes are lost.

I have attached two files showing the system I use and the PM info of which version is being used.

Are you setting PM5 to use an XMP sidecar-only workflow?  If you're using Adobe's software, you must force PM to use XMP sidecar files.  If you go to the IPTC/XMP section of the Preferences dialog, look for the snapshot button (lightning bolt icon is on it) and choose the Adobe preset.  Embedding XMP will cause the problems you describe.  You should also be reading XMP sidecar data first and other types second and third.

Also separately some time ago the highlight, drag and drop in the caption window was disabled and would love to see that feature return

I know of no such feature.  If it was there, it was provided by the OS itself and not Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline mzachs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • MagicalPhotos.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:10:03 PM »
Yep, that fixed it.

This what I have now as shown in attachments. And do I have my cache set correctly? :-)

Thank you for solving this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hope this helps,

Mitchell Zachs
http://www.MagicalPhotos.com/
MAC OS 10.12.2, on a MacBook Pro Retina 2.33 Ghz Intel Core i7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
Mitchell,

Yep, that fixed it.

This what I have now as shown in attachments. And do I have my cache set correctly? :-)

Thank you for solving this.

I'd set your Memory Cache to 512 MB.  You have plenty of RAM on your system.

-Kirk