Author Topic: Deleting Metadata during Upload  (Read 4351 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Deleting Metadata during Upload
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
Hello,

I would make great use of the possibility to delete metadata during uploads, either via ftp or email. Since I like to keep the information about camera exifs to myself it would be usefull to implement the delete metadata tool into the upload screens. The way it is now I have to make copies of the pictures to strip the metadata.

Regards
Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting Metadata during Upload
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:11 PM »
Oliver,

I would make great use of the possibility to delete metadata during uploads, either via ftp or email. Since I like to keep the information about camera exifs to myself it would be usefull to implement the delete metadata tool into the upload screens. The way it is now I have to make copies of the pictures to strip the metadata.

When the "Preserve EXIF where possible" checkbox is unchecked, the majority of the EXIF data will be missing.  If you want to clear out the IPTC/XMP metadata, you can apply an IPTC Stationery Pad with all of the fields checked and their contents empty.  This will result in an image that is largely devoid of metadata.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:10:05 AM »
All usual there is also a solution within PM :D Thank you, Kirk! I never really knew the exact functionality of "Preserve EXIF where possible" but now I will make good use of it since I was mainly aiming at disguising my EXIFs. 

Oliver

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »
Oliver,

When the "Preserve EXIF where possible" checkbox is unchecked, the majority of the EXIF data will be missing.  If you want to clear out the IPTC/XMP metadata, you can apply an IPTC Stationery Pad with all of the fields checked and their contents empty.  This will result in an image that is largely devoid of metadata.

-Kirk

Is it documented somewhere what does "majority of EXIF" mean, what will be deleted and what will still be present?
Someone not willing to make some data available it might be important.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com