Author Topic: Resolve Variable values in the IPTC Stationery Pad  (Read 6748 times)

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
Resolve Variable values in the IPTC Stationery Pad
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
I wish there was a way to opt / cmd click the "Variables" button and have PM resolve the currently loaded values of the {variables} into plain text so you could preview how they will be applied !

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Resolve Variable values in the IPTC Stationery Pad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »
I wish there was a way to opt / cmd click the "Variables" button and have PM resolve the currently loaded values of the {variables} into plain text so you could preview how they will be applied !

This feature already exists: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Modifier_Key

"...The Modifier key will change the “OK” button to “Eval” which will replace all variables with their interpreted values which is useful to see how variables replacement will work."

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »
I'm sorry - I should have been more specific, as usual.

I would love to see this work inside of the IPTC Stationery Pad floating window so I can "build" / pre - edit an IPTC stationery pad preset prior to the event.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
I'm sorry - I should have been more specific, as usual.

I would love to see this work inside of the IPTC Stationery Pad floating window so I can "build" / pre - edit an IPTC stationery pad preset prior to the event.

The IPTC Stationery Pad applies to multiple images.  Until it begins its work, there is no image to evaluate, it can even be brought up with no images selected or no Contact Sheet open.  That's why the feature is in the IPTC Info dialog--there is no ambiguity.

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 01:14:52 PM »
I understand but in the example I am citing, building Stationery Pads ahead of time there is a lot of bulk metadata that does not or will not change from image to image so I think it's still a possible useful feature ?

Otherwise what's the best possible way to achieve this ? edit XMP files in text edit or text wrangler ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
I understand but in the example I am citing, building Stationery Pads ahead of time there is a lot of bulk metadata that does not or will not change from image to image so I think it's still a possible useful feature ?

Otherwise what's the best possible way to achieve this ? edit XMP files in text edit or text wrangler ?

I don't understand why making it modeless will help with your problem of making up an IPTC Stationery Pad in advance any easier?  You can make as many as you need up front and save them out to files on disk (.XMP) or as snapshots.  How is it that the dialog being modal makes things more difficult?

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
Kirk,

Maybe this has got confused with my other feature request/s - I'm not asking to make anything modal or non-modal here. Just that there is a way too "evaluate" metadata variables that are typically used once per ingest and don't change during ingest/editing/uploading Say the ones used in the User / Client section.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Maybe this has got confused with my other feature request/s - I'm not asking to make anything modal or non-modal here. Just that there is a way too "evaluate" metadata variables that are typically used once per ingest and don't change during ingest/editing/uploading Say the ones used in the User / Client section.

Those would be some of the few variables that would evaluate without any images selected.  All other variables would just become blanks when there are no images to process which would likely cause folks to be concerned when there is no cause for alarm.

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
Understood - If it were me doing it I would substitute ?'s or X's for each unresolved variable, but that's just me.

Thx