Author Topic: Photomechanic 5.0 does not export select images to Capture One Pro 8?  (Read 7266 times)

Offline ldlikes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

Running Windows 7 and Photo Mechanic 5.0 (build 16299) does not export to Capture One Pro 8.1.1 selectively and the drag and drop feature does not work either? What it does do is it opens C1 and shows all (not selected/culled images) in root directory. Checking all albums and folders in C1 I cannot find the selected/culled images? See 6 enclosed jpg screen grabs.

Note: (When setting up preferences and Launch settings for Photoshop CS5 instead of C1 it works perfectly!)

I just downloaded the program. Am I missing something here? Please help as I really want to purchase this program and use it with C1!

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photomechanic 5.0 does not export select images to Capture One Pro 8?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »
Dave,

Running Windows 7 and Photo Mechanic 5.0 (build 16299) does not export to Capture One Pro 8.1.1 selectively and the drag and drop feature does not work either? What it does do is it opens C1 and shows all (not selected/culled images) in root directory. Checking all albums and folders in C1 I cannot find the selected/culled images? See 6 enclosed jpg screen grabs.

Note: (When setting up preferences and Launch settings for Photoshop CS5 instead of C1 it works perfectly!)

I just downloaded the program. Am I missing something here? Please help as I really want to purchase this program and use it with C1!

There is nothing to export.  The files exist on your storage device already.  PM browses them in-place and does not lock them away in a "library" of some kind.  When you use Ctrl-E on a selection of images, PM launches the application you've chosen and passes it a list of the files that were selected.

If you take Photo Mechanic completely out of the picture and select the same files in Windows Explorer and then drag and drop them onto Capture One, what does Capture One do with them then?

-Kirk

Offline ldlikes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
Hi Kirk. Thanks for responding so quickly! If I drag from windows two files into C1 and drop them in, they create an untitled album and show up in C1. But Photomechanic didn't do that I did?

Not sure I understand?

Dave

Offline ldlikes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
"When you use Ctrl-E on a selection of images, PM launches the application you've chosen and passes it a list of the files that were selected."

Please enlighten me if I'm missing a step here.  I've yet to see this list of files that Photo Mechanic passes along to C1? Photo Mechanic launches C1 but does not show any indication of the selected files I chose previously? I've looked in all albums, and folders for them. No luck?

RESETTING FOR PHOTOSHOP
If I select certain files in Photo Mechanic and do a Ctrl-E they launch Photoshop and only the selected images show up in ACR. I can also drag and drop the selected files from Photo Mechanic to the open screen in photoshop and they will also show up in ACR. Photo Mechanic works perfectily with Photoshop.

Why can't this same happen when trying it with Capture One?

Dave

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
Dave,

"When you use Ctrl-E on a selection of images, PM launches the application you've chosen and passes it a list of the files that were selected."

Please enlighten me if I'm missing a step here.  I've yet to see this list of files that Photo Mechanic passes along to C1? Photo Mechanic launches C1 but does not show any indication of the selected files I chose previously? I've looked in all albums, and folders for them. No luck?

RESETTING FOR PHOTOSHOP
If I select certain files in Photo Mechanic and do a Ctrl-E they launch Photoshop and only the selected images show up in ACR. I can also drag and drop the selected files from Photo Mechanic to the open screen in photoshop and they will also show up in ACR. Photo Mechanic works perfectily with Photoshop.

Why can't this same happen when trying it with Capture One?

You'll never see the list of files--it happens behind the scenes.  I don't know why C1 is not accepting the files that PM tells it to open and then doing something intelligent with them.  Perhaps you could ask the C1 people why it isn't working?  I don't have any way to find out what C1 does internally.

If PM were to simulate a drag and drop like it does with Photoshop (and like you did with Windows Explorer), would you like that result (Untitled album with images appearing within) or would you expect/want a different result?

-Kirk

Offline ldlikes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
Sounds like you guys are still trying to get Capture One (C1) to work with Photo Mechanic based on your question? Me personally, I like that C1 uses "Sessions" and creates 5 folders automatically for me and puts the raw files in one of them. If I did the drag and drop thing it would just create one folder. So the answer is no.

Guess I won't be buying Photo Mechanic anytime soon?

Thanks for your response.

Dave

P.S.
I relayed your question back to Phase One Tech Support and they basically put the problem back on Photo Mechanic!

Thanks again :D

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Sounds like you guys are still trying to get Capture One (C1) to work with Photo Mechanic based on your question? Me personally, I like that C1 uses "Sessions" and creates 5 folders automatically for me and puts the raw files in one of them. If I did the drag and drop thing it would just create one folder. So the answer is no.

Capture One is a closed system.  As far as I know, there is no API available to allow an external application to tell it what to do with a list of files.  That leaves us with two choices:

1) Execute C1 and pass it a list of files to open.
2) Execute C1 and simulate a drag and drop.

Neither one produce a result that you want.

Guess I won't be buying Photo Mechanic anytime soon?

If the only reason to buy Photo Mechanic was for its integration with Capture One, then I suppose the answer would be "No!".  ;)

-Kirk

Offline ldlikes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
Just found what I needed to help me with Capture One's slow 5 second Raw view checking for out of focus images and culling. Digital Photo Professional's "Quick Check" View. Super Fast!!!! And it is a free download from Canon U.S.A  to Canon users such as myself!

Just wanted to pass that along.

Best,

Dave :) :) :)

Offline RogueMD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »
I've used PM5 and C1 for 6 months now. I am not sure why you need to export something? I have set up C1 as an editor. If I Edit x.arw with C1, then C1 must open, open it's library (assuming it's not running) and then create a dialog to "import" the image. When finished, I use C1 to process the file to another directory. Sometimes the C1 hides the folder after import, and I have to go to the folder tab in C1. No issues at all. Thanks.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:38 AM »
PM5, C1 with one (unique) session and Mac Yosemite

No problem : I select some pictures with PM, Control-E open a next album with this pictures and I finish with C1.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator