Author Topic: Using Google Sheets - Is it possible?  (Read 13028 times)

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using Google Sheets - Is it possible?
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »
Hi - Is it possible to convert an .xlxs file into a "PhotoMechanics" compatible tab delimited text file using Google Sheets?  I've tried no avail... :(

In Google Sheets I'm using: File> Download As > Tab-separated values  and then changing the file extension to .txt

However, when I view this file in "Notepad" or in the "Set Code Replacements" pop-up editor, the formatting isn't correct (see 2nd screenshot.)  The numbers highlighted by the red box should be on a new line.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:03:45 PM by DPC »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using Google Sheets - Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
Hi - Is it possible to convert an .xlxs file into a "PhotoMechanics" compatible tab delimited text file using Google Sheets?  I've tried no avail... :(

In Google Sheets I'm using: File> Download As > Tab-separated values  and then changing the file extension to .txt

However, when I view this file in "Notepad" or in the "Set Code Replacements" pop-up editor, the formatting isn't correct (see 2nd screenshot.)  The numbers highlighted by the red box should be on a new line.

Please post one of your exported files.  I bet it's the line endings that are "wrong" for Notepad.  PM won't care.  You could also try Notepad++ which can handle different line endings than the standard Windows line endings (CR/LF) just fine.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DPC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:07 PM »
Thank you for the prompt follow up Kirk! I believe you're correct as I gave it a try and seems to be working as expected.  8)

Just in case anyone else can benefit from this example, I've attached the file as it's exported from Google Sheet (as the .tsv file and before I just changed the extension to .txt)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
Thank you for the prompt follow up Kirk! I believe you're correct as I gave it a try and seems to be working as expected.  8)

Just in case anyone else can benefit from this example, I've attached the file as it's exported from Google Sheet (as the .tsv file and before I just changed the extension to .txt)

The line endings in that file are LF instead of CR/LF.  Mac OS X systems will view the file correctly as will any reasonable text editor on Windows (the built-in Notepad is not flexible at all.)

-Kirk

Offline RogueMD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »
Yes it is, but you don't need to convert to a TXT file. I have been working on this for quite some time now and have created 2 cheat sheets with excellent examples of how to use Sheets and Save as TSV and Merge them or Point to them in Code Replacements. Follow along the links. This is by far the easiest way I have come up with after 3 years of doing it other ways.

https://sites.google.com/site/pmphotonotes/home/pdfs

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
This is interesting and will try it out when I have time.

My key wording can always be improved and this might help.

Well done.
David