Author Topic: Automatically copy file to folder when flagged  (Read 3330 times)

Offline dman13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Automatically copy file to folder when flagged
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:58:25 PM »
Possible addition or add-on - an option in PM where you choose a color label that when applied, PM will copy the image to a user-defined folder.

My situation-
Lightroom lets me down in a big way on this.   I shoot a 1DX connected via the network (or tether for that matter).  Images flow into a folder where my assistant is reviewing/ editing/ exporting and uploading.  Ideally the images auto-import, but Lr doesn’t allow you to develop at the same time - you can’t turn off the auto advance when in the develop module so you are constantly kicked from the image you are editing to view the most recently imported image.  Grrrr.

So I use PM as the middleman.  Auto-import into PM.  PM previews quicker than Lr anyways.   We flag in PM, then copy those flagged files to the watch folder for Lr where the images are then auto-imported to be edited.

My thought – if PM would automatically copy the image to a folder when I flag the file green (for example), that copy-to folder could be my watched folder by Lr and I’d have the best of both worlds – I have the PM speed and still get the Lr auto import via the flag action (minimal workflow).

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense – Lr catalog is kept at a minimum as garbage files are never imported.  PM speed is utilized.  Lr doesn’t need to fix the (in my opinion) obvious flaw of not being able to disable the auto-advance functionality - my assistant is either culling in PM or editing in Lr, no problems!

Am I on to something here or completely off my rocker?  Thoughts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Automatically copy file to folder when flagged
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »
I don't expect this feature to have widespread appeal but who knows?  Maybe others will chime in and tell us that this would be a must-have feature.

It wouldn't be difficult to implement, though it would need a preference and some setup (for where the images should go) and it is kind of an unusual thing (moving/copying a file because the user set a tag, rating or color class) since nothing currently works this way.

-Kirk

Offline PG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically copy file to folder when flagged
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:46:03 AM »
Definitely adding my voice for this!

It would be fantastic if when you deflagged something (mistake made, for example) it removes it on the fly, also.