Author Topic: Copy to this folder functionality question  (Read 1418 times)

Offline kc_jeffro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copy to this folder functionality question
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »
Under "Copying and Moving Photos" in the File menu there's a function for "Copy to this folder:"

According to the Wiki, this "Copies files to the base path plus an additional (optional) subfolder. You can use variables to create the name of your subfolder."

Based on that, I would expect to be able to copy to two separate locations, much like doing an ingest with a backup to a second location.  E.g., if I set the first field to C:\Pictures\Weddings\201503_TheSmiths and the second field to Z:\PhotoBackup\Weddings\201503_TheSmiths, I would expect the pictures to be copied to both of those directories. 

However, in practice, what I get is

(A) no photos in C:\Pictures\Weddings\201503_TheSmiths,
(B) a new directory structure like C:\Pictures\Weddings\201503_TheSmiths\Z~\PhotoBackup\Weddings\201503_TheSmiths, and
(C) all of my copied photos in that new directory.

As I'm writing this and looking at the Wiki statement again, it occurs to me that perhaps my expectation should be that the 2nd location should be under the first - but even then, what I'm seeing isn't what I would expect.  In all cases, I think I should see two sets of copied photos - one set at the base path and another at the subfolder path.

What am I missing?  Is there a way to get "Copying and Moving Photos" to actually make two simultaneous copies?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Copy to this folder functionality question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:10:35 AM »
The move or copy will only go to one destination (which is the combination of the two entry fields you see in your case).

Hope this explains things.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl