Author Topic: file types and deleting  (Read 2503 times)

Offline witkowski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
file types and deleting
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
I have just started to find my way around PM5 and there are a number of things I don't understand about it, in part because I am used to using the old versions of iView. Although I have read the manual and searched the forum, I can't find the answers.

1. how do I delete an image from a  contact sheet without sending it to the trash or deleting it permanently?
2. can I drag a folder with sub-folders so that PM5 makes a contact sheet of all the images in the folder?
3. when I drag a folder containing images and other files, PM5 includes generic icons for the other files, eg docx. How do I set it to use only image files?
4. where are the contact sheet files stored? I was used to storing each iView equivalents

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: file types and deleting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
I have just started to find my way around PM5 and there are a number of things I don't understand about it, in part because I am used to using the old versions of iView. Although I have read the manual and searched the forum, I can't find the answers.

1. how do I delete an image from a  contact sheet without sending it to the trash or deleting it permanently?

Photo Mechanic is a browser and shows you what is on your disk.  You could move the file to a different location, outside of the folder you're browsing.  It would then no longer be in the folder you're browsing and would 'disappear.'

2. can I drag a folder with sub-folders so that PM5 makes a contact sheet of all the images in the folder?

Drag, no.  But you can use the Favorites and Navigator contextual menus to open a folder and its subfolders into a Contact Sheet tab.

3. when I drag a folder containing images and other files, PM5 includes generic icons for the other files, eg docx. How do I set it to use only image files?

Turn off the View menu's "Unknown files as proxies" item.

4. where are the contact sheet files stored? I was used to storing each iView equivalents

There are no Contact Sheet files.  Photo Mechanic is a browser, not a catalog.

-Kirk

Offline witkowski

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: file types and deleting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:28:46 AM »
Kirk - many thanks for your prompt reply. I clearly misunderstood what PM5 does.

Jan