Author Topic: PM Star Rating Lost! PM to Adobe DNG Converter to Lightroom  (Read 3484 times)

Offline MikeIckes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Star Rating Lost! PM to Adobe DNG Converter to Lightroom
« on: April 04, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

I see this issue discussed all over the place, but can't seem to get it resolved. I'm using the star rating in PM to sort my photo's and would like the rating to carry over to lightroom, only it's not. My workflow is PM (V 5.0, build 16299) (not ingesting, just selecting a folder of images that have been copied onto my hard drive from camera memory card) to Adobe DNG converter (v 8.6.0.254) to Lightroom (v 5.7, camera raw v 8.7). Operating system is Mac OS X 10.10.2, camera is Nikon D800.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 06:14:27 PM by MikeIckes »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Star Rating Lost! PM to Adobe DNG Converter to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
Mike,

I see this issue discussed all over the place, but can't seem to get it resolved. I'm using the star rating in PM to sort my photo's and would like the rating to carry over to lightroom, only it's not. My workflow is PM (V 5.0, build 16299) (not ingesting, just selecting a folder of images that have been copied onto my hard drive from camera memory card) to Adobe DNG converter (v 8.6.0.254) to Lightroom (v 5.7, camera raw v 8.7). Operating system is Mac OS X 10.10.2, camera is Nikon D800.

Are your images on your hard drive when you rate them?  Are they at this point in the DNG format or in NEF (or JPEG) format?

If you reopen the folder containing your rated images in Photo Mechanic, are your ratings still there or are they lost?

-Kirk

Offline MikeIckes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 06:02:06 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Images are NEF and have been copied to local HD. Star rating maintained in PM after close/reopen. I'm using PM for culling, and only converting keepers to dng's.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
Mike,

Images are NEF and have been copied to local HD. Star rating maintained in PM after close/reopen. I'm using PM for culling, and only converting keepers to dng's.

Are you telling LR to read the metadata from the images once you return to LR?  If not, LR will use the cached metadata from its database and will completely ignore any changes you make outside of LR.

-Kirk