Author Topic: Converting IPTC text fields to lines of text on a page  (Read 4525 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Converting IPTC text fields to lines of text on a page
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »
Kirk,

Is it possible to convert IPTC fields using variables such as the caption field into lists on a page similar to below?

Using the example attached I would like to record a list of images sent to a third party so that the list had the file name in the first column and the caption in the second so that it looked rather like
this:
Filename                                     Caption
19840810B2033_Parisi_FRA      LOS ANGELES, USA - August 03: Angelo Parisi FRA  waits for questions at the heavy weight press conference after winning the silver medal during the Olympic Judo                                                   at                                                the California State University in Los Angeles, California, USA in 1984. (Photo © by David Finch. All rights reserved. Including image always credited to David Finch)

FINCH141004A5943_Conway     GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - OCTOBER 04: Under 70kg gold medallist, Sally Conway of Great Britain, during the Glasgow Women's European Open at the Emirates A        rena                                             on October 04, 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK. (Photo © by David Finch. All rights reserved. Including image always credited to David Finch)

Currently, I am unable to record easily the images I send to my agency or to magazines etc and I would like to attach to a jobsheet a printed list of the images I have just sent.

For instance, I am in the process of sending a lot of sample images, about 400, for an editor to look at and choose around 50 pictures for the book. To make my life easier I would like to automatically collect a printed list of the images sent, similar to the above but obviously running into hundreds.

Is there any way to easily automate that and print it onto sheets of paper?

Best regards,
David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Converting IPTC text fields to lines of text on a page
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
David,

Is it possible to convert IPTC fields using variables such as the caption field into lists on a page similar to below?

Using the example attached I would like to record a list of images sent to a third party so that the list had the file name in the first column and the caption in the second so that it looked rather like
this:
Filename                                     Caption
19840810B2033_Parisi_FRA      LOS ANGELES, USA - August 03: Angelo Parisi FRA  waits for questions at the heavy weight press conference after winning the silver medal during the Olympic Judo                                                   at                                                the California State University in Los Angeles, California, USA in 1984. (Photo © by David Finch. All rights reserved. Including image always credited to David Finch)

FINCH141004A5943_Conway     GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - OCTOBER 04: Under 70kg gold medallist, Sally Conway of Great Britain, during the Glasgow Women's European Open at the Emirates A        rena                                             on October 04, 2014 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK. (Photo © by David Finch. All rights reserved. Including image always credited to David Finch)

Currently, I am unable to record easily the images I send to my agency or to magazines etc and I would like to attach to a jobsheet a printed list of the images I have just sent.

For instance, I am in the process of sending a lot of sample images, about 400, for an editor to look at and choose around 50 pictures for the book. To make my life easier I would like to automatically collect a printed list of the images sent, similar to the above but obviously running into hundreds.

Is there any way to easily automate that and print it onto sheets of paper?

As long as you don't use tab characters in any of your fields, you could use a tab-separated format, (tab is used to deliminate fields) and then if they used Microsoft Excel and loaded your file in as a tab-deliminated text file then they would have in each column each of your fields.

In the Text Exporter simply use the {tab} variable to separate each of your fields, followed by {nl} to indicate each new line in the text field.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Re: Converting IPTC text fields to lines of text on a page
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:22:23 AM »
Kirk,

Back to school for me and as an experienced Photo Mechanic user I am learning something new all the time!

That is very helpful and will work perfectly after I've played with it a few times.

Could I suggest that future updates or releases include some standard templates in the lightning bolt drop downs with the templates briefly explained in the wiki manual? If so I would have picked up on this years ago.

Thanks again Kirk and very helpful as usual.
David