Author Topic: Ability to selectively download RAW's that match selected JPEG's from RAW/JPEG p  (Read 4286 times)

Offline raltman666

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
While RAW's can be a waste of drive space etc, occasionally they can save the day in post for WB/exposure issues etc. It would be nice to be able to select certain JPEG's that have been imported and ask PM to import just those particular RAW files. It is a feature that exists on Apple's now defunct Aperture- and I found it very useful at times. Just a thought for the next PM version...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
While RAW's can be a waste of drive space etc, occasionally they can save the day in post for WB/exposure issues etc. It would be nice to be able to select certain JPEG's that have been imported and ask PM to import just those particular RAW files. It is a feature that exists on Apple's now defunct Aperture- and I found it very useful at times. Just a thought for the next PM version...

If your camera puts a high resolution JPEG preview in its RAW files, why shoot RAW+JPEG at all?  I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG ever since I obtained a Canon 5D Mark II.  No need to shoot JPEGs since the embedded JPEG preview contained within the CR2 file is just about as good as the separate JPEG file.  I shoot RAW only now.

-Kirk

Offline hsaphoto

• View Profile
Hello Kirk,

I was about to write to you in order to ask just the same thing. Basically, I may end up shooting a lots of picture for a specific assignment (work for a daily paper in Montreal, Canada) and would love the ability to download only small jpegs for a quick and efficient first selection, then make a "save selection" of the jpegs, then apply this to the card with the RAWS on it and then just import the selected RAW (that have the same file number)

The setup would be :
* Camera set-up : Raw (or M-raw) plus SM jpegs on the same card.
* PM Ingest setup : Copy only jpegs
* First edit with selected pics quickly ingested and browsed
* Tag or color code the selected jpegs
* Have a way to quickly import the same selection on the card with the raw files on it.
* Copy the selected RAW from the card only to the original folder.

The actual set-up IS working (in a step-by-step manner), I just tried it with the "Save Selection" feature.
I then opened the EOS folder directly on the card, loaded the selection and copied only the RAW files to the destination folder on my computer. For a long day of shooting or a 32g or 64g card, we're talking I'd say 5-10 minutes time save, this for us on a deadline is huge.

If an ingest preset doing this in a 2steps automation could be implemented, this would be awesome !!

Thanks

Hugo
La Presse newspaper, Montreal CANADA