Author Topic: Workflow | Renaming files  (Read 1898 times)

Offline popejonash

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflow | Renaming files
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Hello,

I'm relatively new to PM and wanted to ask a couple workflow questions. I'm running PM 5.0 and my OS is Windows.

Firstly, In the IPTC editor, how can I remove the fields that I never use? Secondly, how can I add a field? I'd like to have two separate fields for first name and last name variables.

In terms of workflow, I need to have my files named two different ways for two different companies. Assuming I can add the first name and last name variables, is this best achieved with a snapshot setting?

For the first company, I need the to use {first name} {last name} {organization} as the filename, and I'll be using these fields in my headline, caption and keywords.
For the second company, I need to use {last name}, {first name} as the filename.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Workflow | Renaming files
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
Hey there popejonash,

Let's see if we can help.

#1, try opening up Preferences (Ctrl-comma) and going to Accessibility.  You will see a button to Customize IPTC Stationery. Here you can uncheck the visibility of any field you'd prefer not to see.

#2 Do you mean your OWN first name and last name?  IPTC does not currently break out the credit field into first name and last name, but if you were creating snapshots then you wouldn't need to use a variable, just type your name in as you'd need it.    Note that if you're able to use FTP to send images to these destinations, you can use these naming snapshots in the Uploader dialog so that you can rename on the fly and not have to create new copies of images on your hard drive. Have one Uploader snapshot for Company A and another for Company B.

If you really did want to use variables to handle the name, you could do something like put Firstname lastname in the Credit field and then use something like the 'Description Writer" field and add Lastname Firstname there. Not sure how this would save you any work, but maybe there are other considerations I don't know about.  You might also try Code Replacements as well.  Here is the documentation on all that:
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Speeding_Up_Captioning

I hope those suggestions help you out. Let us know if there is anything else.

Regards,

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits