Author Topic: Custom Color Classes Not Honored  (Read 4523 times)

Offline ttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom Color Classes Not Honored
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
I've tried to use Custom Color Classes, but they are not honored in the files EXIF. Nor the Bridge or my own. The generic stays put...
I don't use sidecars.
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16299 (579a307) for OSX.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Custom Color Classes Not Honored
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
I'm sure it actually works, just that you need to understand what to expect.

First of all, adobe doesn't use colour classes, they use labels. So in order for adobe to pick up on your changes of the colour classes you need to match the descriptions (and their colours) for the colour classes in PM with those in the Adobe suites. Exact wording must be used!

When you say your changes aren't visible in the exif, I reckon you looked at the value of the colour class tag using e.g. Exiftool? Exiftool doesn't know about any change to the description you made to the colour class definitions and will always show the original name for a particular colour class number. For the correct description, have a look at the label tag instead. You'll see that reflect your setup.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:19:59 AM »
I'm sure it actually works, just that you need to understand what to expect.

First of all, adobe doesn't use colour classes, they use labels. So in order for adobe to pick up on your changes of the colour classes you need to match the descriptions (and their colours) for the colour classes in PM with those in the Adobe suites. Exact wording must be used!

Oki...

In preferences:
1:Select

Exiftool:
Color Class                     : 1 (Winner)
Urgency                         : 1 (most urgent)
Label                           : Winner

That's no good. People might be misinformed of what tags are used.

When you say your changes aren't visible in the exif, I reckon you looked at the value of the colour class tag using e.g. Exiftool? Exiftool doesn't know about any change to the description you made to the colour class definitions and will always show the original name for a particular colour class number. For the correct description, have a look at the label tag instead. You'll see that reflect your setup.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
This is exactly what is to be expected. PM behaves as it should.

What you are looking at is the output of exiftool, which shows the default description for the colour class and urgency fields. These descriptions are not saved as part of the metadata (colour class and urgency are just a number), but are made up by exiftool. There is no way around this apart from hacking the way the description is made up in exiftool. Or you can have exiftool display the raw data by adding a # after the tag name like so: exiftool -colorclass# -urgency# FILE. Exiftool will then not add its own description to the number.

But as I said, the only important tag for Adobe is the label, so there there isn't really an issue anyway, I think.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline ttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
This is exactly what is to be expected. PM behaves as it should.

What you are looking at is the output of exiftool, which shows the default description for the colour class and urgency fields. These descriptions are not saved as part of the metadata (colour class and urgency are just a number), but are made up by exiftool. There is no way around this apart from hacking the way the description is made up in exiftool. Or you can have exiftool display the raw data by adding a # after the tag name like so: exiftool -colorclass# -urgency# FILE. Exiftool will then not add its own description to the number.

exiftool -colorcl*# -ur*# -lab*# File:

Color Class                     : 1
Urgency                         : 1
Label                           : Winner

But as I said, the only important tag for Adobe is the label, so there there isn't really an issue anyway, I think.

Well... "Label" still says "Winner" when "Color Class" are given other values. It says "Winner" even though it's a "virgin" file with "Color Class" unaltered by PM.  "Color Class" is set to sync with IPTC. Are you sure that that tag is what Adobe uses?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »
Hmm, I somehow overlooked your label still being at Winner, that's not what it should be when you have PM set to have it as Select and you have altered the metadata with PM afterwards. To make sure, change the colour class in PM to another number and then back to 1. You should see the new label value then, for sure.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline ttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 06:48:02 AM »
Hmm, I somehow overlooked your label still being at Winner, that's not what it should be when you have PM set to have it as Select and you have altered the metadata with PM afterwards. To make sure, change the colour class in PM to another number and then back to 1. You should see the new label value then, for sure.
I ingested a new bath of files to study the anomaly. The preliminary findings are:
The label can only changed if it's in the active configuration... And possibly only change if it's in the binary? There you go!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:50:56 AM by ttt »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
I ingested a new bath of files to study the anomaly. The preliminary findings are:
The label can only changed if it's in the active configuration... And possibly only change if it's in the binary? There you go!

Active configuration?  Only in the binary?  I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Please explain.

-Kirk

Offline ttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »

Active configuration?  Only in the binary?  I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Please explain.

-Kirk

If you look in the presets you will find that PM allows you to change the configuration of the "Color Codes" labels. I do think that you know what a binary is.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »

If you look in the presets you will find that PM allows you to change the configuration of the "Color Codes" labels. I do think that you know what a binary is.

Binary in relation to what?  I certainly know what binary means.  But in your context it makes no sense to me.

-Kirk