Author Topic: Add warning when working with locked folders  (Read 6156 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Add warning when working with locked folders
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:18:25 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16299 (579a307)
Mac OS 10.9.5

I ran into a snag with the way PM behaves with locked folders. I just spent several hours making metadata changes to hundreds of images, not realizing that the folders were locked. The problem is that PM behaved as if everything was working normally.

After I added the metadata I reviewed the IPTC Info to double check it, and everything looked fine. I even closed the contact sheet and returned to it later, and the metadata still showed up normally. However, after I quit PM and reopened it, I discovered all my metadata changes were lost. Only then did I discover that the folders were locked.

Now I know it's my own fault for not checking the folders first. However, since changing images in a locked folder is not possible, I would have thought there would be some sort of error message when attempting to do so.

Also, when looking at folders in the Favourites column there is no visual indication that a folder is locked. Because PM works so well with Mac's file system, I don't ever go into the Finder when working with photos, which is why I didn't initially notice that the folders were locked.

So I'm wondering if perhaps PM could present an error message when a user attempts to enter metadata or otherwise modify a locked folder. And if possible, maybe a lock icon could be added to locked folders in the Favourites column.

Thanks!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Add warning when working with locked folders
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »
I guess with locked, you mean you had no write permission? I never tried this, but I too would have expected a warning when trying to change the metadata...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
I guess with locked, you mean you had no write permission?

I'm referring to the "√  Locked" checkbox being selected in the folder's "Get Info" window.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
I guess with locked, you mean you had no write permission?

I'm referring to the "√  Locked" checkbox being selected in the folder's "Get Info" window.

Ah, right, that one. Even so, also in this case I would have expected a warning message from PM...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »
We'll have to look into this and get back to you.

-Kirk