Author Topic: Clear IPTC Stationary Pad misses Keyword "+" checkbox  (Read 2670 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Clear IPTC Stationary Pad misses Keyword "+" checkbox
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:31:34 PM »
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16299 (579a307)
Mac OS 10.9.5

When you press the Clear button on the IPTC Stationary Pad, the Keyword "+" checkbox does not clear. Everything else seems to clear properly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Clear IPTC Stationary Pad misses Keyword "+" checkbox
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:48:21 PM »
Mac OS 10.9.5

When you press the Clear button on the IPTC Stationary Pad, the Keyword "+" checkbox does not clear. Everything else seems to clear properly.

True.  We don't clear the "append" check boxes.  This is by design.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
Mac OS 10.9.5

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk...  but I'm a bit mystified. Personally, when I use the "Clear" button, it is quite simply because I want to clear everything. It doesn't seem logical to me that a "Clear" button would leave some things un-cleared... I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Just my 2 cents...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
Mac OS 10.9.5

Thanks Kirk...  but I'm a bit mystified. Personally, when I use the "Clear" button, it is quite simply because I want to clear everything. It doesn't seem logical to me that a "Clear" button would leave some things un-cleared... I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Just my 2 cents...

If you hold down the Option key and click on the Clear button (its title will change) you can customize what fields are cleared.  Many people don't want all fields cleared when they click the Clear button.

At any rate, clearing the append (+) check boxes is not something that is customizable and they are never cleared.  Clearing the append check boxes can completely change one's workflow.  When applying the IPTC Stationery Pad it can be disastrous.  It is for this reason that we do not clear them.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »

If you hold down the Option key and click on the Clear button (its title will change) you can customize what fields are cleared.  Many people don't want all fields cleared when they click the Clear button.

At any rate, clearing the append (+) check boxes is not something that is customizable and they are never cleared.  Clearing the append check boxes can completely change one's workflow.  When applying the IPTC Stationery Pad it can be disastrous.  It is for this reason that we do not clear them.

-Kirk

I don't get it myself, but I believe you when you say that clearing the append checkboxes can be disastrous. However, it's obviously only disastrous for SOME people. For others, leaving it checked is a problem too. If the Clear button did not have the option to be customized, then of course you would have to make a call one way or the other whether or not to clear the append boxes. That I could understand.

The thing I don't understand is that even with the ability to customize the Clear button, you still can't clear everything. PM is set up by default to never clear the append boxes, so those folks are well looked after. For the rest of the users who would prefer to clear everything, can't we at least have the option?

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
Thanks Kirk, you learn something every day.......
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »

I don't get it myself, but I believe you when you say that clearing the append checkboxes can be disastrous. However, it's obviously only disastrous for SOME people. For others, leaving it checked is a problem too. If the Clear button did not have the option to be customized, then of course you would have to make a call one way or the other whether or not to clear the append boxes. That I could understand.

The thing I don't understand is that even with the ability to customize the Clear button, you still can't clear everything. PM is set up by default to never clear the append boxes, so those folks are well looked after. For the rest of the users who would prefer to clear everything, can't we at least have the option?

Maybe later, but we have higher priority tasks to complete.  I'll add it to our list but I can't promise a date when you'll see it implemented.

-Kirk