Author Topic: Can't set an absolute date  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Can't set an absolute date
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
I need help and FAST. I have a mixed folder of images that I need to set to the same date for creation etc. I thought that this would be a simple thing.. Learning it isn't so simple. When I select all the files and set today's date I am getting some files with today's date but then others are showing a date in 2017. What I have figured out is that even when I set the absolute date PM is setting a value in the variable boxes in the upper section and then changing each file based on the relative values...  I am in the weeds on this one.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't set an absolute date
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
Eric,

You didn't specify how you're modifying dates/times, but based on your description it sounds like you're using the Adjust Capture Dates and Times dialog.  All dates/times are adjusted relative to the set of values in the top half of the dialog (the Adjust Relative) section, even if you're manipulating the lower section controls (Adjust Absolute).  The two interfaces are locked together.  When you modify one, the other changes.  If you've got a folder containing images that were shot over years, you're going to need to adjust them separately or the years will change dramatically.

All changes to dates are relative, not absolute.  You can't change the dates of images in different years with a single relative year delta.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »
Ok well I kinda figured that out... broke it down to 32 folders. Just curious what the 'use' of the absolute versus relative sections of the change box is.  If everything is relative when or what is the use of the absolute box?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Ok well I kinda figured that out... broke it down to 32 folders. Just curious what the 'use' of the absolute versus relative sections of the change box is.  If everything is relative when or what is the use of the absolute box?

To help you figure out the relative time/date changes needed to sync up photos shot at the same event by multiple camera bodies.  From the documentation:

"To precisely adjust the capture times, use the Adjust Absolute controls to set the absolute time a photo was taken. For example, with multiple cameras at a sporting event, make sure all cameras take a photo of the game clock (or some other common clock that shows seconds). Then select the photos from one camera, locate the photo of the clock using the arrow buttons under the photo, then dial-in the actual capture time of the photo shows using the controls to the bottom-right of the photo. A relative time will be calculated from that photo and applied to all the selected photos."

You would still need to adjust the photos taken by each body separately.  No one relative set of modifications will fix the time on multiple bodies that vary in different ways.

-Kirk