Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 on MacBook Pro (Universal binary vs. Rosetta)  (Read 9469 times)

Offline rdalley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I get bizarre red & pink colored Finder icon thumbnails when I use the copy command on my Intel-based MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz/2 GB RAM/MacOS 10.4.6) with PM version 4.4.3 which is running as a Universal Binary app, but not when running on a PPC based Mac with PM 4.4.3.  I have set Preferences:Files:Create Finder icons during copy, ingest or save as:File extenstions: Use lowercase.  However, if I set PM to "Open using Rosetta" in the application Get Info dialog, then the same copy command results in normal color Finder icon thumbnails running under Rosetta emulation.  This was also true in the Universal Binary of PM 4.4.2.  Seems to be a Universal Binary bug with Finder icon creation.

Otherwise, PM 4.4.3 using native Universal binary on the MacBook Pro is lightning quick and very stable.

Thanks,
Bob Dalley

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic 4.4.3 on MacBook Pro (Universal binary vs. Rosetta)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »
I get bizarre red & pink colored Finder icon thumbnails when I use the copy command on my Intel-based MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz/2 GB RAM/MacOS 10.4.6) with PM version 4.4.3 which is running as a Universal Binary app, but not when running on a PPC based Mac with PM 4.4.3.  I have set Preferences:Files:Create Finder icons during copy, ingest or save as:File extenstions: Use lowercase.  However, if I set PM to "Open using Rosetta" in the application Get Info dialog, then the same copy command results in normal color Finder icon thumbnails running under Rosetta emulation.  This was also true in the Universal Binary of PM 4.4.2.  Seems to be a Universal Binary bug with Finder icon creation.

Otherwise, PM 4.4.3 using native Universal binary on the MacBook Pro is lightning quick and very stable.

I'll take a look at that for the next update.  Thanks for the heads up.  I only wish you could have told me about this a week or two ago... ;)

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
I get bizarre red & pink colored Finder icon thumbnails when I use the copy command on my Intel-based MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz/2 GB RAM/MacOS 10.4.6) with PM version 4.4.3 which is running as a Universal Binary app, but not when running on a PPC based Mac with PM 4.4.3.

We have fixed the problem and the fix will appear in the next update.

-Kirk

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »
Hi Kirk-
I reported this problem to Jerry at Camera Bits on March 8th.  He wasn't able to duplicate the problem (maybe since he didn't have an Intel mac).  I sent him screenshots as well as a zipped test folder showing R+J in a pinkish red & PSDs as yellow.  Let me know if you want to see all of my correspondence with him.  Since you have the problem figured out, do you have any idea when the update for that will be released?  It's a little frustrating having to locate everything on our server that happened to go thru pm on a macbookpro & re-make the thumbnails with a non-Intel mac.
Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »
I reported this problem to Jerry at Camera Bits on March 8th.  He wasn't able to duplicate the problem (maybe since he didn't have an Intel mac).  I sent him screenshots as well as a zipped test folder showing R+J in a pinkish red & PSDs as yellow.  Let me know if you want to see all of my correspondence with him.  Since you have the problem figured out, do you have any idea when the update for that will be released?

A release will likely be at the end of this week or sometime next week.

-Kirk

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »
Hi Kirk-
Any idea on the release date for 4.4.3.1?  Just curious, since it's been awhile since your last reply.  The red finder icons are making me bonkers! Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 01:19:32 PM »
Hi Kirk-
Any idea on the release date for 4.4.3.1?  Just curious, since it's been awhile since your last reply.  The red finder icons are making me bonkers! Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com

Soon, I promise!

-Kirk