Author Topic: Sharpening  (Read 5410 times)

Offline GrantCC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sharpening
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
Hi,

I've just discovered and installed PM Version 5 and I have to say I'm blown away by how sharp my images look. I've been struggling with a Canon EOS 70D and so far with the exception of PM 5 all of my viewers don't hold a candle to PM. That includes PS CS5.5, LR 5.7, DXO 10, Corel PP6, Picasa 3 etc. In particular LR which I find really handy, but I would like the previews to be like PM. So, I'm wondering how this happens - is some sharpening built in? And if so where can I see this?

An aside - what does DOP mean, and I've just come across 'expired in some of my pics, yet they are definitely still there??

Many thanks to the authors of PM anyway - great stuff!

Grant

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
Grant,

I've just discovered and installed PM Version 5 and I have to say I'm blown away by how sharp my images look. I've been struggling with a Canon EOS 70D and so far with the exception of PM 5 all of my viewers don't hold a candle to PM. That includes PS CS5.5, LR 5.7, DXO 10, Corel PP6, Picasa 3 etc. In particular LR which I find really handy, but I would like the previews to be like PM. So, I'm wondering how this happens - is some sharpening built in? And if so where can I see this?

Sharpening of thumbnails is controlled on the Contact Sheet section of the Preferences dialog.  Preview sharpening is controlled on the Preview section of the Preferences dialog.  Are you wanting more info about the sharpening parameters?

An aside - what does DOP mean, and I've just come across 'expired in some of my pics, yet they are definitely still there??

I'm not sure what you mean by "DOP".  Where are you seeing this?  Feel free to post a screen shot.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Many thanks to the authors of PM anyway - great stuff!

You're welcome--I'll pass your note onto the rest of the team.

-Kirk

Offline GrantCC

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
DOP comes up with any folder of images - see attached.

And yes, I saw the 'Preview' sharpening - in my case unchecked, but just a lot better than the rest.

Thanks
Grant

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
Grant,

DOP comes up with any folder of images - see attached.

And yes, I saw the 'Preview' sharpening - in my case unchecked, but just a lot better than the rest.

You have a file in your folder that ends in .DOP and Photo Mechanic doesn't know how to handle it and represents it with a "Proxy" thumbnail.  You can go to the View menu and turn off the setting for "Unknown files as proxies" and you will no longer see it.

As for images whose name is "Expired", they're images that have a capture date/time beyond the date of the expiration of your trial period.  It sounds like one of your photos was shot in the future!

-Kirk

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:14:31 PM »
Kirk - is there a way to adjust Sharpening parameters?  In particular, the Save As command has the option of a check box providing Sharpening or not, and I'd like to manage the amount of sharpening in that step based on output size.
Eric Bowles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
Eric,

Kirk - is there a way to adjust Sharpening parameters?  In particular, the Save As command has the option of a check box providing Sharpening or not, and I'd like to manage the amount of sharpening in that step based on output size.

No.  There is no way to adjust the sharpening parameters in PM5.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:23:31 AM »
Hi,
I have always used Sharpening ticked in my Preferences (Contact Sheet/Preview) and in the Saved As template.
I really do not see a remarkable difference when this option is not selected (in my photos at least). What I am trying to say is that it does not seem to be a significant amount of sharpening that is applied to the photos.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi