Author Topic: Using Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, & Bridge Color Labels.  (Read 24388 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Re: Using Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, & Bridge Color Labels.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
I always thought that only captions, keywords etc are stored in the NEF and that edits from ACR or any other software are only stored in the sidecar. Thanks again Kirk.

Oliver

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »
@Hayo: DNG is not an option for me since the files get bigger and it's an additional step in the workflow that takes time. I was never a big NX2 user since I always liked the workflow of ACR in PS.

Interesting, my dng files are generally (much!) smaller than the NEF files. And I do not even compress them lossy... Are you perhaps embedding the raw file itself? I don't see a need for that (besides if things really fail, I always have a backup of a nearly untouched (that is, only touched by PM) original).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
Interesting, my dng files are generally (much!) smaller than the NEF files. And I do not even compress them lossy... Are you perhaps embedding the raw file itself? I don't see a need for that (besides if things really fail, I always have a backup of a nearly untouched (that is, only touched by PM) original).

I gave it a try and you are right, Hayo. Once original files are not embedded the DNGs are about half the size of my original NEF. And this is where I get a little suspicious. How can a file half the size of a lossless compressed photo contain the same amount of information. Most likely I will never see a difference in working with the files but I feel better sticking with the files that come out of my camera. Also the process of converting is quite time consuming. But thank you for the suggestion.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »

I gave it a try and you are right, Hayo. Once original files are not embedded the DNGs are about half the size of my original NEF. And this is where I get a little suspicious. How can a file half the size of a lossless compressed photo contain the same amount of information.

Aren't the NEFs produced by your camera completely uncompressed?

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 02:17:36 PM »

Aren't the NEFs produced by your camera completely uncompressed?

No. I am using a D3s and a D750 and both are set to lossless compressed RAW since I was never able the detect any obvious disadvantage. The D750 does not even offer an uncompressed RAW setting.

Oliver

Offline Drugstore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 02:29:41 AM »
I always ask myself for what do we have preferences? Should be easy to configure. Same issue as having set the filter to tagged showing all images that are tagged and they remain visible even if untag the image.... If I remove color labels I want them to be removed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »
I always ask myself for what do we have preferences? Should be easy to configure. Same issue as having set the filter to tagged showing all images that are tagged and they remain visible even if untag the image.... If I remove color labels I want them to be removed.

Refreshing the Contact Sheet will make them filter out.  Having them immediately go away would be problematic for many people.  It would take several steps just to make them appear again, change the value back and then turn the filtering on again.  There is a hot key (visible in the menu) that you can press after you change your tags/ratings/color class.

-Kirk