Author Topic: Synchronising Appsdata from Win7 to Win8.1  (Read 2727 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Synchronising Appsdata from Win7 to Win8.1
« on: July 24, 2015, 02:24:50 AM »
Kirk,

I am in the process of moving my programs from my old laptop that is running Win7 to a new one that is currently running Win8.1 in readiness to move to Win10.

Can you tell me how to update the Win8.1 PM Appsdata folder so that I am using all of the PM preferences and templates that I have built up over the years?

Also, are you able to recommend a program or method for synchronising the same PM Appsdata folder between my laptop and PC so that all alterations are current on both machines at the same time?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Best regards
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Synchronising Appsdata from Win7 to Win8.1
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »
David,

Simply copying the C:\Users\{your login}\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic folder should copy everything over but your templates unless you put your custom templates there.  For your templates, you should be able to see where your template paths are located in the Files tab of the PM Preferences dialog and copy them to your new OS install.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

I had the Win8-1 folder hidden, which didn't help. Have now copied the folder across.

Any recommendations for permanently synching the two appsdata PM folders between laptop and PC so that all alterations appear in both folders?

Best regards,
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:44:23 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk.

I had the Win8-1 folder hidden, which didn't help. Have now copied the folder across.

Any recommendations for permanently synching the two appsdata PM folders between laptop and PC so that all alterations appear in both folders?

rsync (a command-line utility) works great for such things.  I'm sure there are many more though, try a Google search.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

I'll look into it with Google.

Best regards
David